Chapter 8: Tumnus and the witch

Amelia's eyes glazed over as she stared at the walls lining her cell. The veins of the ice crept and crawled until eventually they formed a picture. Amelia sighed; it had been a long time since her "ability" had shown itself. The picture formed in the ice was one of a girl. She had her arms stretched out to her sides and was holding out what looked like food to the woodland creatures that stood around her. There was a bird perched on her shoulder and a lion by her side. Amelia's head tilted slowly to the left. The girl seemed peaceful, unlike Amelia herself.

Amelia could still feel the red hot anger course through her veins despite the cold cell that seemed to numb everything else. She was still weak, too weak to even stand up. This only added to her frustration.

How could he? How could Edmund just give them up? How could he do this to them, his family?

She only hoped that they made it out alive. Without them she was alone in Narnia... Edmund did not count.

Amelia's head snapped towards the cell gates as a ghastly creature, an ogre she thought it was, walked in with its green slimy skin and dishevelled, misshapen face.

"The Queen wishes to see you, Silvanus wretch."

Amelia shuffled closer to the back wall as he walked closer. Fear was pumping in her blood, "Silvanus? What is that?"

The ogre paused in its steps, confused by Amelia's confusion, but nevertheless, he continued without a word. Using a large key he unlocked the chains around Amelia's ankle before he tossed her over his shoulder. Amelia groaned as a wave of nausea flooded into her stomach, only powered by the fear that already seemed to be eating away at her insides, not to mention the highly unappealing view she had. There was no hope in struggling, not that she really had any energy to.

They walked through the many twisting corridors. Amelia would often see glimpses of pictures forming from the veins in the wall before they rounded another corner. Her head bobbed lazily against his back as the blood rushed to her brain. It only made her more tired. There was an ever growing fear in her heart that she would not make it out of the castle... alive.

Amelia heard a loud creak as the doors to the courtyard opened. It was morning, but the sun made no effort to heat up the cold air. It was just as frosty as it was the night before. The ogre grunted as he lifted Amelia off his shoulder and onto her feet. Amelia's legs shook as her weight was pressed into them and she collapsed onto the ground in a fit of coughs and gags.

A wicked voice sounded in the cold air, "Amelia, does my presence weaken you so much that you cannot even lift your head to look me in the eye?"

Amelia slowly lifted her head, ignoring the pain in the back of her sore neck. Her eyes met the cold one's that belonged to the witch, but they also fell upon a familiar face.

"Mr Tumnus?" Amelia asked, her eyes wide as she stared at the faun in disbelief. Despite all the hope she had when she was around Lucy and the other Pevensies, there always seemed to be this little nook in the depths of her heart that told her he was already dead. Yet there he stood and she could not believe her eyes.

Another ogre was holding him up. He pulled the faun's arm's back, causing his back to arch at an unbelievable angle. The faun's eyes were wide with fear and relief at the same time.

"Amelia! Oh thank Asl –" the ogre kicked his legs and they buckled underneath him. Amelia's heart ached for him. She could feel the tears streaming down her cheeks. She couldn't speak with the shock still freezing her brain. Mr Tumnus yelped in pain as he was pulled to his feet once more, "Lucy! Where's Lucy! Is she saf-"

"Enough!" The witch interrupted as she glared at Mr Tumnus, "We have more pressing matters to attend to." she turned to Amelia, "My police searched every inch of that dam. The rest of your little party seems to have disappeared."