Chapter 14: Revelations

Amelia smiled as she gingerly touched the flowers in the water around her. Edmund and Caspian rowed them east, towards the high waters of Aslan's country that seemed to meet the horizon. She smiled fondly a s she remembered her last memories on the Treader, the cheerfulness as Gale reunited with her mother, the lost souls were returned, and Eustace emerged from the water as a boy again. She had missed a lot during her fight with her four fears, including the part where Eustace's dragon from was stabbed by the sword which caused him to flee, but bring the sword to safety at the same time. Eustace was retelling the story, and Amelia listen keenly.

"No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't do it myself. Then he came towards me. It sort of hurt, but it was a good pain. You know, like, when you pull a thorn from your foot." Eustace chuckled, "Being a dragon wasn't all bad, I mean, I think I was a better dragon than I was a boy really." Eustace looked at Edmund, "I'm so sorry for being such a sod."

Edmund smiled at his cousin, "it's okay Eustace, you were a pretty good dragon."

The young boy smiled which sent a flutter of joy through everyone on the boat. Amelia looked at Edmund and gave him a pointed wink, to which he blushed and gazed away. Amelia then saw Caspian, a less cheerful look on his face. She knew she needed to talk to him, and soon. Something told her the next minutes in her life were going to change everything.

"My friends," Reepicheep announced from the front, "We have arrived."

Amelia watched as the tall wall of water came into view. The water rushed and moved like a tsunami that never crashed. It was lined by a pristine beach with sand as white as snow. The boat skidded onto the sand, and Amelia eagerly jumped off with Edmund in tow. She quickly took his hand in hers, not willingly to be without his touch after she had been deprived of it for so long. They walked towards the water, its movement magical and intricate to watch. She could not take her eyes off it, although she was very quick to notice a new presence walking beside her.

"Aslan," she stopped.

The lion smiled at them, "Welcome, children, you have done well. Very well indeed. You have come far, and now your journey is at its end." Amelia's heart sank slightly at his words, and she gripped Edmund's hand tighter.

"Is this your country?" Lucy asked.

"No," the lion answered, "my country lies beyond." He gestured to the large wall with his head.

Caspian paused before asking his own question, "is my father in your country?"

"You can only find that out for yourself, my son. But you should know that if you continue, there is no return."

Amelia gazed at Caspian, her heart wrenching slightly as he walked towards the wall. The closer he got, the quicker it raced.

"Wait! Cas!" The king spun around to face her, his face unreadable. She let go of Edmund's hand and ran up to her best friend, "Look, before you decide anything, I just have to say something, alright?" Caspian furrowed his eyebrows but nodded for her to continue. "I know things have been kind of rough lately, you know, with the mission and the trade and other stuff," she glanced at Edmund behind her, "But I want you to know that I'll always love you, Cas. You helped me when I was in a very dark place, and I'll never forget what you've done for me." A lone tear dripped down her cheek, "You're my best friend, Caspian. And I can't go through life knowing that our past relationship was what separated us in the end."

Caspian remained quiet for a moment, his head processing his thoughts, but he broke the silence as he blurted out, "Do you love him?"

"What?"

He sighed irritably, "I said 'do you love him?'"

Amelia didn't hesitate, "Yes." She glanced back once again, seeing him smiling in encouragement, "I don't think I quite knew how to live before I met him, and I doubt I'll be able to live without him." She looked back at Caspian, his gaze causing her tone to soften, "It was always him, Cas."