Chapter 12: Liliandil

Amelia didn't know how long she sat on that little ledge overlooking the ocean and the night sky, all she knew was that if she had to die, this wasn't a bad place. Granted, she would never see Edmund or Caspian again, and she would never go back to London or see her father...

Her father.

She hadn't thought about him in so long. It almost ached to think about how the two years of her absence affected him. He was a Narnian Warlock, she knew that much, so she as sure he knew where she was – especially if Professor Kirke was all informed about it like Aslan had told her. The professor and her father were close friends. If he knew where she was, which she was sure he did, then her father knew as well. She just hoped he got on alright. She hoped he got out of the war alive.

She often forgot the war that plagued her home world. Narnian battles were nothing compared to that bloodshed, and she wasn't really sure if she ever wanted to get back. Her world wasn't really known for kindness, and she doubted it was as beautiful as Narnia – although she couldn't really remember. While only two years have passed in her world, hundreds have passed in Narnia, and her memory was rather full.

She didn't notice the blue star disappear or the stream of bright blue light that broke the night. She was much too absorbed in thought, and she wondered when it would happen – when she would fall asleep. More importantly, she wondered if anyone would come say goodbye. Even Eustace would do.

That's when she heard it, the light rustle of leaves as several steps approached from behind. She reluctantly turned to find Caspian, Edmund and Lucy joined by another woman, only she was very different. Her form shimmered lightly and was almost transparent. Her body glowed a blue hue and she herself was one of the most beautiful women Amelia had seen. More beautiful than Susan or any of Amelia's old friends. Her eyes widened, though she refused to stand, not sure whether this woman was friend or foe.

The woman watched her curiously, "Silvanus, why do you hide from your comrades?"

Amelia was immediately irritated by the question, so she shrugged, "I believe I have lost my mind."

The woman shook her head, "The men you saw back there were half-mad when they came here. Trust when I say, you are nothing like them. You are as sane as ever."

The others stood behind her, silent. Edmund's eyes were trained on the forest floor, whereas Caspian gazed at the woman in wonder. Amelia arched an eyebrow at him, curious, but decided to leave those questions for later.

"Who are you?"

She smiled, "I am Liliandil, your guide."

Amelia glanced up and noticed the absence of the blue star immediately, "You're a star."

The woman smiled, "Yes, but more important things, I'm afraid, need to be addressed. The food you ate will not harm you, Amelia Cromwell, rise and join us."

Amelia felt slightly offended by how Liliandil practically commanded her, but she went along with it, standing up and moving beside Lucy, slightly relieved that her life was no longer ending so abruptly.

Liliandil guided them to furthest point on the ledge where they looked out across the ocean.

"The magician, Coriakin, told you about Dark Island."

"Yes," Caspian replied.

As they reached the edge, Amelia gazed up what looked like a writhing green mess. The Island stood there in the sea, filled to the brim with the wicked green mist and spiderlike tendrils of black gas caging all of it in. It screamed evil and Amelia felt cold in her bones just looking at it.

"Before long, the evil will be unstoppable."

"Coriakin said that to break the spell we lay the seven swords at Aslan's table," Caspian stated.

Liliandil nodded, "He speaks the truth."

Amelia butted in, "But we only found six. Do you know where the seventh is?"

Liliandil raised a pale blue hand and pointed towards the writhing mess, "In there. You will need great courage. Now waste no time."

Caspian stared at the star, a wondrous look in his eye, "I hope we meet again."

The star sheepishly smiled at him before saying a quiet, "Goodbye." Her light suddenly glowed brighter until she shot up into the sky again and returning to the form they knew her very-well in.

Amelia glanced at Caspian, and though her chest still pained for the boy who stood not two feet away from her, she smiled at him, "Finally got your eyes on a girl, then?"

They all laughed. Even Edmund. They all knew the irony of her joke, yet none of them wanted to point it out. For a moment, that's all they were. Four teens joking around. Then Amelia's pain returned. Edmund's heart broke into pieces. Lucy's fear entered her chest and Caspian's dread filled him to the brim.