Chapter 3: A glimpse of pain

Amelia

Pain.

"D'you think you can talk to me like that? You little bitch!"

Agony.

"D'you know how much I paid for you? D'YOU KNOW?"

Aching. All Over.

"Please, I'm sorry. Please don't hurt me anymore."

Cruelty.

"Begging won't save you now you little brat!"

Darkness.

Amelia loved the darkness. Darkness meant relief. It meant freedom. A world without pain. She felt like laughing at herself. Here she was, the most powerful commander in all of Narnia, blessed with the power of the Silvanus spirit... but she was weak.

It was easier to stay strong in the first few months. She still had hope then, but as time dwindled on like a never-ending black chord she lost it. They weren't coming for her. Caspian thought she was dead. She was sure of it.

She felt the darkness lifting.

No. Please no. I don't want to wake up.

She heard his heavy footsteps on the wooden floor, but he wasn't alone, "Aye sir. Paid a good price for this one, but she ain't worth half the lot."

"I'll take her. I'm sure we can find another bidder willing to pay."

Edmund. Save me.

Edmund

Parry. Step back. Step forward. Right. Left. Block. Swing.

The crew cheered as Edmund swung at Caspian's blade, his new Narnian clothing swishing behind him.

Block. Parry. Block. DUCK.

Edmund flew to the ground as Caspian's foot soared over his head. He chuckled to himself, how he had missed the rush of swordplay.

Caspian made a blow for his head, but Edmund made a swift block before jabbing at Caspian's leg. The Telmarine King blocked it before twisting his blade around Edmund's. Edmund saw the trick and with a flick of his wrist he parried and twisted, his sword at Caspian's neck, however, upon a glance downwards he noticed Caspian's blade at his own throat.

The two kings chuckled together as the crew around them cheered.

Caspian clasped Edmund at the shoulder – a broad smile on his face, "You've grown stronger, my friend."

Edmund laughed, "Seems I have." Good. That means you can save her.

It didn't take long for Caspian's bulky captain to call the crew into order from the wheel, "Alright, back to work!"

The men dispersed to their duties, leaving Edmund alone. He quickly grabbed a cup of water before walking over to Lucy, who was gazing absently at the horizon.

Lucy sighed, "Do you think we can keep sailing to the end of the world and just... tip off the edge?"

Edmund shrugged and focused on his water, "Don't worry Lu, we're a long way from there."

Then came the familiar shrill voice that Edmund wished he would never hear again, "See you're still talking nonsense, the two of you." Eustace.

Edmund closed his eyes momentarily and wished for his anger to disappear. Lucy was, thankfully, far more caring and spurred on the conversation.

"Are you feeling better?" She asked.

The boy crossed his arms, "Yes, no thanks to you. I'm just lucky I have an iron constitution."

Reepicheep, who had been climbing up the mast nearby, joined the conversation, "As effervescent as ever I see. Find your sea legs?"

The young boy scoffed, "Never lost them. I was just busy dealing with the shock of things. Father says I have an acute disposition..." Edmund took another sip of water, "due to my intelligence."

Edmund couldn't help the cough that induced his sudden spit take. Intelligence? More like intelligently stupid. His hand flew to his mouth to catch the flying water and wipe his chin. Lucy giggled at hem.

"I don't think he has an acute anything," Reepicheep joked to Edmund and Lucy.

Eustace was quite disturbed, "I'll have you know that as soon as we find civilisation I'm contacting the British Counsel – have you all arrested for kidnapping!" The boy attempting to stalk off with his head high, but Edmund only watched, amused, as he walked straight into Caspian.

"Kidnapping, is it?" The Telmarine King mused, "Funny... I thought we saved your life."

Eustace choked out, "You held me against my will!"

"Ha!" The rat laughed.

Eustace gestured frantically towards the door that led to crew's sleeping area, "In what I must say is the most unhygienic quarters. It's like a... like a zoo down there!"

Reepicheep, not at all fazed, simply turned to Lucy, "He's quite the complainer, isn't he?"

Edmund rolled his eyes, "He's just warming up."

Suddenly, their conversation was interrupted from the bird's nest at the top of the mast, "LAND HO!"

Edmund quickly chucked his cup away and ran up the stairs towards the wheel, and there he saw it. A large mass of land sitting at the base of the setting sun. The scene was almost magical, but Edmund knew what was happening there. Slave Trade. The very thing that took Amelia away from safety.

He couldn't wait to slice his sword into whoever laid so much as a finger on her.

He could only hope that they weren't too late