Chapter 15: Home

Amelia had never been a fan of parades

Amelia had never been a fan of parades. Back in London, the city often hosted parades during the year- perhaps to lift the spirit after the first war and during the second- but none of them had ever been Amelia's definition of fun. Her school always forced her to take part, despite her clear stage fright. Being the centre of attention had never been something she particularly enjoyed.

During those parades, she felt like a rat being studied. It was as if her every move was watched and judged. That feeling enclosed her body as she was dragged through Aslan's camp.

The Cyclops holding her chains yanked the iron restraints so that Amelia stumble forward. Anger started to bubble inside her; heaven knew she was sick of being treated like a prisoner.

"...the Queen of Narnia!" Ginarrbrik yelled from the front of their little congregation. Amelia slowly followed the crowd of beasts carrying the Witch through the swarm of Narnians. She could see all the Narnians start to whisper amongst themselves once they saw her; she could already guess what they were flustering about.

Amelia looked on as the crowd started to thin, stretching to see above the centaurs' tall frames. She was desperate. All she needed was a glimpse and she would be okay, but to no avail... Edmund's dark brown locks were nowhere to be found.

Before Amelia could do a second sweep of the crowd, she spotted a large golden figure. His aura was one that matched the image she had created of him. He seemed strong, kingly and respected while at the same time being kind, gentle and generous. His mane was luscious as it cascaded around his face like a waterfall, giving him an aura of grace and finesse. She knew who he was...

Aslan.

He gave a light sneer as the witch drew nearer and Amelia smiled lightly. She almost laughed at herself. A few days ago, lions were simply lions. Now she saw why they were given the title "King of the jungle". Yes, she had met Aslan before – in a dream she had at the Professors Manor – but that image of Aslan was simply a dream. His real figure, broad and strong, was more comforting than she expected.

The monsters in front of her lowered the Queen- who was perched on her royally portable throne – to the ground. Amelia's eyes started to wonder around the crowd once more... and that was when she saw them.

A relieved sigh escaped her lungs as she saw Lucy's innocent gaze. Then there was Susan; her stature was hard and brave as ever. She had a bow with a quiver of arrows on her back. Amelia noted how the 'warrior' look suited her. Then there was Peter. His locks seemed to have become even more golden and his face was set in a hard glare towards the Witch. Amelia could feel the anger rolling off of him in waves.

Edmund. The last of the four siblings had already met her gaze. He was the only one that had seen her, and it slightly warmed her heart. She couldn't understand how their bond had grown so fast, but it was clear that what they had been through brought them closer together. His presence was the only form of comfort where the Witch was concerned. When Amelia was tired and on the verge of breaking because of the Witch's power, Edmund was there for her. Even now, albeit Amelia was stronger in the presence of Aslan and in the summer sun, she still felt exhausted of all her energy. One look from Edmund was enough to rejuvenate her, even if only for a moment.