Chapter 18: Darkest of Times

Amelia watched silently as their scout – a griffin – returned from the enemy lines. Amelia had to admit, the view from atop the cliff was incredible. In the far distance, beyond the valley and into the sea, there stood a castle on a small mountain. Castle Cair Paravel, Edmund had called it. They both stood at the head of the archer's wall, overlooking their army.

It was an amazing sight. Centaurs, Fauns, Bears, Cheetahs, Badgers and all other sorts of creatures had joined their ranks. Amelia could sense their nerves, but also their strength. No one was turning around. Narnia will be freed from this evil once and for all. Mr Beaver, who Amelia only reunited with this morning, also stood alongside the two youngsters.

Everyone was still, but suddenly, the silent noise was broken by war horns in the distance. Across the Valley, atop a small hill, Amelia could make out the large, dark figure of the Minotaur. The creature roared, causing Amelia's heart to start racing. The hand not holding her bow immediately latched onto Edmund's hand. She would never admit it, but at that moment – the moment when the Witch's army crossed into their line of sight – she had never been so scared before. She gave Edmund's hand a small squeeze as her eyes lay upon the giants, wolves, minotaurs, dwarves and beasts. There were so many...

Edmund gave her hand a little squeeze before letting go. She turned to face him and he gave her a nervous smile and nodded his head, almost as if saying "I know it's bad, but we need to be brave"

Amelia's senses were suddenly overwhelmed as those around her and below her started becoming anxious and scared. Amelia closed her eyes and focused on the soil, the Narnian soil. Slowly, she started to calm down the restless troops. She focused on sending a calming aura over the Narnians, but even an army as small as the Narnian one took up much energy.

Edmund looked at her in shock, almost as if he felt his nerves suddenly dissipate. She smiled at him once more before focusing again on the enemy.

There she was, covered in a golden fur that looked so familiar. Her chariot was being pulled by two Polar Bears that stomped around and growled at everything. Amelia's heart seemed to be torn between two emotions, the hatred for the Witch and the love for the mother she always wanted. She hoped that killing the witch would not come down to her... she didn't know if she could do it.

Peter, right at the head of their army, turned around on his unicorn and gave his younger brother and friend a nervous look. Simultaneously, the two nodded at him reassuringly. They were all scared, but they will not give up.

Peter unsheathed his sword and held it high in the air. It gleamed in the sunlight, like a bright light in an onslaught of fear. The Narnians, seemingly free of their previous anxiety, cheered and raised their weapons. Amelia joined, raising her bow – which she still had no idea how to use – high in the air, a sense of pride overwhelming her.

The Minotaur at the Witch's side let out a load roar before the Witch's army followed in a cheer. To Amelia's surprise, they wasted no time in charging. Immediately, the first onslaught of beasts was released towards the Narnian army. Amelia took a deep breath to calm down.

Calm down, the plan will work. Just focus.

Edmund then drew his sword from beside her. Amelia took another breath and waited for the signal. Peter was still holding his sword high, very patiently awaiting the right moment. Amelia started wiggling her fingers, eager to release the adrenaline running through her veins.

The beasts continued running closer, roaring along the way. Peter still waited. Come on. Come on. Come on. The Witch's army was halfway across the valley when Peter finally thrusted his sword forward – the signal for their first onslaught. Amelia wasted no time, commanding her power to her will. It was a big risk, to trust Amelia with such an important task when she had never even used her power in such a way before, but the young girl had trusted her instincts and Peter trusted her. She knew her power was ready, and she was right. In no time at all, she had summoned enough wind to form a tornado of dust in front of her before sending it up into the air, signalling the griffin attack.