Chapter 6| Late Nights and Early Mornings

Amazing fanart by kre

"But wait, does the Silvanus not have control over all the elements in Narnia?"

I pondered the question, "Well, not exactly. You see, it's not me, but it's a spirit that sort of lives inside of me. I can only use the powers to help Narnia since that is the spirit's purpose. But I haven't exactly been able to do anything spectacular since the war with the Witch." I stretched out my limbs while we lay on the mossy ground. Our company had journeyed through half the night to get to Aslan's How, and Caspian and I were taking full advantage of the few hours we had before sunrise when we had to continue walking to complete the final stretch.

"Why not?" Our proximity littered my skin with goosebumps. His nose was mere inches from mine; the sight only made my brain bubble with memories of our kiss only hours before.

"The concept is rather complicated. Let's just say that as Narnia's hope fades, my power does too. If the Narnians don't have faith in me, then nothing fuels the power."

He eagerly looked at me while placing his chin upon his hands, "Show me something."

I laughed quietly in an effort not to disturb the soldiers sleeping around us, "Like what?"

He shrugged, and I noticed how his chocolate eyes sparkled in curiosity, "Anything."

I pulled myself up and sat down cross-legged. He stared up at me from the ground, making my heart beat slightly faster than necessary. Slow down, Amelia. He's only a boy.

I pulled my focus to a part of my soul that I hadn't been in for quite some time. It was a warm place, a place of hope. The Silvanus warmed my body as I tapped into its power, willing it to bend to my will. I imagined a green little spirit suddenly sparkling with excitement before I felt a familiar tingle in the tips of my fingertips. I moved my hand in a slow motion curling it upwards to act as if I was pulling something out of the ground. Sure enough, a little leaf popped out of the ground, followed by a long green stem that grew and grew, higher and higher. Finally, a small, pink flower blossomed and my magic was complete.

Caspian examined the flower in wonder, "This should not be possible."

I laughed, "Welcome to the real Narnia."

He smiled and I returned it. Caspian felt like an oddly familiar presence to me. It had been so long since I had actually spoken to someone human, not Narnian. The feeling of having someone more or less like me sit across from me felt foreign, but I welcomed it. I knew Caspian and I's little romance was pure, but it was little. It was young and still growing. I already felt his hold on me. Lord knew no-one had kissed me like that since...

Caspian sighed, "Narnia. Even the name terrifies me."

I looked at him, slightly shocked, "Scares you?"