The New Kid

Sioux Falls was never a really popular place for getting new kids. Maybe one a year or two, but that was really it. It was a small community, and Gabriel never really minded that there wasn't many people that would really understand him. After all, he had his pranks and his imagination, so he never considered himself to be truly lonely, but it was very quiet without someone around to talk to. That's why, when he saw a new kid walk into the classroom, a sad and dull look darkening his features, he sat a little straighter, his eyes lighting up at the opportunity to actually try to make a friend, if the popular crowd didn't steal him away first.

The teacher, Ms. McCown, a petite woman with blond hair and a pleasant smile on her overly wide lips, motioned the quiet kid over to her podium, leaning against it as she looked over the blue paper that must have been her schedule. She smiled up at the boy, though he really didn't give a response back as she waved to the empty desk in the third row, regrettably no where near where Gabriel sat.

"Class, we have a new student that will be joining us. Please, give a warm welcome to Sam...Winchester." She said, looking over his schedule for his name before handing it back. Some of the students gave out little 'heys' but Sam didn't even give them a single word in response as he went and sat in the desk that Ms. McCown had pointed out earlier.

"Alright. Let's get started on the lesson." The teacher said, turning on the projector and revealing a presentation titled 'The Skeletal System.' Gabriel dug through his backpack, pulling out his notebook and pen before looking over at the new kid, frowning when he saw that Sam had his head down, not even glancing up at the screen. One of the girls sitting next to him leaned over, asking if he was alright, but gave up when he didn't reply. From the sympathetic look the teacher gave Sam before continuing on without disturbing him, Gabriel knew that something must be going on with the boy.

It was because of this strange new kid that Gabriel had trouble concentrating, often finding himself forgetting to write down the notes that were on the board, and more than once missing some key bit of information that the teacher had said while he was staring at the back of the quiet Sam. When the presentation finally closed, Gabriel couldn't put his things away fast enough before standing, ignoring the conversation that rose up around him as he crouched in front of Sam's desk.

With careful movements, he slowly reached out, tapping on Sam's head with a single finger. At first, the boy didn't respond, but after the third tap, he finally peeked out from his arms, his eyes dark and almost grainy, as if he was sick. Gabriel gave him the most friendly smile he had, his brows furrowing in worry despite his best efforts not to.

"Are you alright?" Gabriel asked, tipping his head at the boy. Sam only stared for a moment before hiding his eyes back into his arm. Gabriel puffed his cheeks out in response, tapping on Sam's head again until the new kid looked up again.

"Can you talk?" Gabriel asked, arching one eyebrow at the boy. Sam just stared at him once again, and Gabriel thought that this was going to be a fruitless effort until he saw Sam shake his head just the smallest bit. Gabriel perked up, his face lighting up at actually getting a response.

"So you're mute?" Gabriel questioned, resting his arms on the desk so he could lean on them and take some weight off his crouched legs. Sam shook his head again, making Gabriel tip his head in confusion.

"But you said you couldn't talk....selectively mute?" Gabriel questioned, smiling as he got a single nod from Sam. "Oh, that's alright. If you want, I can talk enough for the both of us."

Sam gave him an arched eyebrow, and Gabriel grinned as he let out a soft chuckle. "Don't worry. I could talk your ears off if I get in the right mood for it." Gabriel explained before letting out a sigh, leaning his arms on the desk and thinking for a moment with a wrinkled nose.

"Well, my name is Gabriel Novak. I'm eighteen and a senior. I'm known for being a bit of a prankster around here and I could eat all the candy in the world and I still would want more." Gabriel said, deciding he might as well start from the beginning. This may not have been what he had in mind before he wished for someone to talk to, but maybe this was better. "I really hate chihuahuas. Those little bastards are not even a real dog. They're literally just fifty percent tremble and fifty percent hate."

"Baby pigeons terrify me because honestly, those things are demons. I hate green beans, pinto beans, baked beans, just beans in general, except chocolate, oh! and coffee." Gabriel said, smiling as Sam lifted his head just a bit more, a curious look in his eyes as he rested his chin on top of his arms. He looked much prettier than when he seemed all sad, and now that his eyes were a bit brighter and more normal, Gabriel could see how beautiful a brown they actually were.

Gabriel rambled for minutes upon minutes of just random things that he could think of, his mouth moving a mile a minute as he described different stories or thoughts that led to other stories and thoughts. Sam just sat there, seemingly hanging onto every word that Gabriel said. Gabriel knew that the students around him were whispering, but Gabriel didn't care. Why would he? He was having a nice time talking to Sam, even if he didn't respond, and it felt so great when the bell rang and waited for him while he went to get his things. Sure, maybe Sam just wanted to know how to get to his next class, but Gabriel was happy with how the first day went, and he couldn't wait to talk to him again.