Sting

Gabriel wasn't sure where he were running, but Gabriel felt like he couldn't breathe as he struggled to get away from his own mistakes. His chest was heaving, but it felt like no breath was leaving his lips, and he could only feel the throb of his arm and the heat of his tears on his cheeks.

He shoved past the people on the sidewalk, his body shaking and his face pale. He tried to get past one man, but he lost strength in his legs and collapsed to the sidewalk, clutching his injured arm to his chest and letting out a soft sob as people passed by, their curious looks doing nothing to help Gabriel.

He forced himself back up, because he did not want to be found this way, and continued down the sidewalk, barely able to walk around people without falling. He felt dizzy, his vision spinning in a way that made him stumble over the air around him.

One woman managed to catch him before he fell again, an alarmed tone in her voice as she offered to call 911. He just shook his head and pushed her away, dragging his legs in a clumsy sort of run, pushing through the crowd that bunched in front of him, struggling to get through.

As he pushed through the last person, he found himself surrounded by open air, a cool breeze running through as he looked around, hearing a sudden screech that made his entire body tense. He just barely had the time to see the black of a car before he felt the crashing of something into his body, knocking him out of the path of the car.

Gabriel felt his breath leave his throat, but he didn't even register what was going on before he felt warm hands clutch onto to his shirt, pulling him close and enveloping him in a hug. He could hear Sam crying, and he let out a soft cough as he shakily wrapped his uninjured arm around Sam as well, burying his head in his shoulder as he began to cry.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" He heard a man shout and glanced up to see the car that almost hit them had stopped where they had been only a moment before. He was silenced by Gabriel's mother running out of the crowd, hurrying over to them and dropping to her knees, hugging them both tightly.

"I thought I lost you, Gabe!" She said, kissing both Gabriel and Sam on the head. She and Sam both helped Gabriel up, who still felt like shit as he leaned against Sam, feeling exhausted. They moved away from the road and Gabriel's mother led them to a bench, where they all sat and Sam hugged Gabriel tightly in comfort.

"Why did you run?" Gabriel's mother asked, her voice strained with stress. Gabriel flinched and stared down at Sam's chest, not wanting to say anything. Sam glanced at her before reaching and taking Gabriel's arm, holding his hand gently.

"I'm sorry." Gabriel whispered, his grip tightening around Sam's hand and holding on like if he were to let go, Sam would be gone. Tears leaked slowly from the corners of his eyes, but he felt too tired to really cry anymore. "I tried to stop. I really did."

Sam nodded, using his free hand to wipe away Gabriel's tears before looking to Gabriel's mother, giving her a soft frown. She stared at the both of them, confusion in her eyes as Gabriel closed his eyes, just wanting a moment to rest for a moment.

"What's going on?" Gabriel's mother asked, her voice filled with the same confusion as Gabriel sighed, wanting nothing more than to disappear rather than face the sadness that his mother would feel as soon as he told her.

"I'm sorry."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hold your arm out, please." Ellen said, her voice soothing as she took Gabriel's arm by the wrist holding it out and dabbing disinfectant on his wounds. He winced a bit at the sting, but Sam's hand was a comforting distraction.

"What did you do?" Ellen asked, though she had a clear idea from what by the tone of her voice. Gabriel looked away, giving her all the information she needed as she sighed, wrapping the bandage gently around his wrist.

"I'm going to talk to your mother. Figure out how to say to her what you didn't tell me." Ellen said, standing up and giving him a sad look before leaving the room. Gabriel swallowed, shaking his head and resting his head on Sam's shoulder, letting the tears begin to fall as Sam pulled him close to his chest.

Instead of waiting for Gabriel's mother and Ellen to get back, Sam gently helped Gabriel to his feet, leading him to Sam's room and closing the door behind them. He sat Gabriel down on the bed, cupping his cheeks and kissing the top of his head before grabbing the notebook and writing down a single word.

Talk.