...Fuck

Gabriel and Sam couldn't be pulled apart after that, alternating between the two houses everyday. Neither of their parents minded though, and Gabriel's mother even became close to Ellen between their visits, and even came over to dinner with them once or twice.

This day was such an occasion as they all sat together at the dining table, eating and talking among themselves happily. Gabriel didn't even pretend to not notice the way Ellen watched him. He noticed it almost a week back how she would keep a close eye on him, and he knew that his mother had told both Bobby and Ellen of their...past.

Nevertheless, they never told Sam, and that's all Gabriel cared about as he continued to let himself be happy as he talked to Sam, chewing on a particularly delicious piece of a burger. Sam was smiling, and he set down his fork, taking Gabriel's hand and standing, tugging at him gently.

"Outside?" Gabriel guessed, grinning when Sam nodded in response. He took over the lead in excitement, barely hearing his mother say 'be careful' before he was dragging Sam happily out the door and into the fresh air. Gabriel turned towards him, a smirk on his face and let go of Sam's hand before patting him on the shoulder.

"You're it." Was all Gabriel said before he took off into the junkyard, jumping over one of the rusting hoods and weaving through the cars, leaving Sam behind despite the boy's longer legs. He grinned as he saw a tree, running past it and vaulting into the back of the pickup truck that was behind it. He laid flat on his back, holding his breath as he heard Sam's steps hurry by, smirking in triumph at successfully hiding.

He nearly screamed when Sam suddenly jumped into the pickup truck, straddling Gabriel's waist and pinning him by the shoulders. Gabriel struggled, but Sam just laughed, making Gabriel stop to smile up at him.

"Your voice is so beautiful." Gabriel said softly, and Sam's laughter trailed off, his smile disappearing and being replaced by a look of confusion. A blush dusted his cheeks and Gabriel felt his heart jump to his throat, and he took the chance to flip Sam over, now pinning him.

Gabriel hesitated before jumping out of the pickup truck, his body tingling in a way he never felt before. Nevertheless, he pushed it to the back of his head as he heard Sam scrambling to get out of the pickup truck and started running again, the thought flowing from his mind as their game took back over.

"You'll never catch me!" Gabriel teased, laughing as he rounded a corner of a vehicle, climbing over the hood of the car beside it and down the back to the other side. He knew that would slow Sam down quite a bit since the boy was much clumsier and slowed down, glancing back to see when he would pop up.

He heard a noise to his right and saw Sam coming from a different path, making him yelp and take off at full speed down the trail he was on, laughter leaving his lips as he narrowly escaped Sam's fingers brushing his back. He went to make another turn, only to jolt when he felt a metal shard sliding under his feet.

He wasn't sure what was happening. One moment he was running and having fun, the next he was laying on his side, unable to move from some unknown force. Sam was at his side in an instant, touching his face, and his eyes lit with panic as he stared down at Gabriel's side.

Gabriel furrowed his brows, his mind feeling as if he were struck in the head as he slowly lifted his gaze to large gash that dug into his hip, a metal piece sticking from the ground drenched in his blood as the top part poked from his flesh, part of it hidden inside his body as blood leaked out around it.