Bad Things Just Keep Coming

Gabriel could feel his limbs dragging as he followed Sam down the sidewalk, his backpack like an anvil on his shoulders as only the gentle finger grip of Sam urged him along the path to Bobby and Ellen's house. School had been just a hell today, leaving Gabriel empty inside. He almost didn't even notice that he walked into the wrong class several times today, and Sam ended up having to take it upon himself to lead the little Shirley around the school.

The trudge up the stairs to the porch about killed Gabriel, his legs screaming for a release from having to drag around all its baggage. He barely even noticed Sam's concerned looks, but instead focused only as Sam stopped and pressed a warm kiss to his forehead, easing the darkness if only by the smallest bit.

The dark room did nothing to help him, but he forced himself to feel more at home, dropping his things by the door and crawling over to the couch hidden amongst the books and natural clutter. Sam joined him only a moment later, pulling Gabriel by the shoulder closer and fishing out the remote from between two stacks of books piled precariously on the stand.

The soft lull of the TV filled the background and Gabriel let out a sigh, letting his eyes just barely make out the image of a crime show before they closed, burrowing closer to Sam and letting his head rest on his chest, his breath barely stirring the soft cotton shirt beneath his cheek.

Warm and gentle fingers brushed through his hair as the minutes slowly ticked by, easing him into a doze that allowed his mind to feel just a little lighter, listening to the soft moment of silence between the seconds as Sam began channel surfing, looking for something more decent to watch.

"...Richard Shirley, convicted criminal, has escaped from-" He heard the TV say for just a moment before the channel switch. Gabriel jerked up, all tiredness forgotten as he made Sam flinch in surprise, scrabbling and grabbing the remote from the poor boy's hand and flipping the channel back to where it was.

"The man is considered armed and extremely dangerous. Residents of Sioux Falls should remain cautious until he is apprehended." The news reporter said, a grim look on his features before the news report faded into a commercial. Gabriel hadn't even realized that he was clutching the remote so hard until he felt Sam's gentle fingers tugging the object from his tensed hands.

Gabriel felt his lip quiver, and he sniffed as he rubbed at his nose, frustration and pain welling in his chest. Of all things that could have happened, why did it have to be this?

Slowly, as if he moved any faster, he would break, he slid his phone from his pocket, pulling up his mom's contact and pressing the call button. He swallowed thickly, Sam's hand linking into his and allowing him to take a small breath of air.

"Hello? Gabe?" His mother said, and he realized he hadn't said anything since she picked up. He cleared his throat, preparing himself for this.

"Dad is out." Gabriel said, his voice cracking at the end. He leaned a bit closer to Sam, taking in a shuddering breath.

"I know, sweetie. The police just called." His mother said, and he could tell she had been crying when she let out a little sniffle. "You need to come home for today. The police have been stationed around the house."

Gabriel nodded, even though he knew she wouldn't see him. After a moment, he pressed his lips together. "Can Sam come too?" He asked a bit nervously. It may have sounded like a selfish request, and it partly was, but he knew that his dad knew who Sam was, and that made it all the more dangerous.

"No. No Gabe. It's not safe for him to be around us." His mother replied, and Gabriel felt his heart tear at that statement. Ever since he had met Sam, he had drug him the thorns of his family life, and guilt rose in him when he felt Sam's hand squeeze his.

But, if Gabriel was going to protect anybody, it was going to be Sam. "Dad knows him." Gabriel said, his voice barely above a whisper as he glanced towards Sam. The boy had a confused look, and maybe a little hint of fear in his eyes, but there was also resignation, as if this was something he already understand.

Gabriel's mother was silent for a moment before she let out a string of swears, and Gabriel could see her raking her hands through her hair in frustration. "Let me talk to Ellen." His mother said after a moment, and Gabriel slowly stood, leaving Sam on the couch as he searched through the house, finding the nurse in the kitchen.

"It's mom." Gabriel said when Ellen looked at him with curiosity. He turned away from her and went back into the living room, walking over to Sam and hugging him tightly, clutching onto his jacket like a life line and burying his nose in Sam's neck. Sam hugged him back instantly, rubbing the boy's back until they heard the steps of Ellen walk in.

"Sam, go pack a bag of clothes. You'll be staying with Gabriel for a while." Ellen said, her voice showing her displeasure as Sam pulled away from Gabriel, confusion in his eyes as he nodded and hurried to his room. Gabriel watched him go, rubbing awkwardly at his arm and hoping that Ellen wasn't too upset with him as she placed his phone gently beside his leg.

"I'm sorry." Gabriel whispered, staring down at the ground. He wondered how much trouble could have been avoided if he just hadn't talked to Sam on that first day. He knew Sam probably would have been safe, and happier for the matter, making Gabriel's throat clench as Ellen let out a disappointed sigh.

"Me too." Was all she whispered before she left the room, leaving Gabriel with tears spilling over his lids.