Just a Simple Lunch

Over the week, Sam and Gabriel just get closer and closer, Gabriel spending most of his days over at Sam's than his own home. Ellen never commented on it, and Bobby only mentioned it once but was brushed off by Gabriel's reassurance. Underneath his confidence and smiles though, he could feel his nerves brewing in his chest, just knowing that the string of lies he had created could be destroyed with one slip.

Nevertheless, he didn't let it get him down as he met up with Sam for lunch, getting that dreaded lunch food that he swears isn't even real food. As they're walking to their table though, Gabriel looks over to the window and a small grin splits his face, and he grabbed at Sam's sleeve, gently tugging him towards the door.

"Follow me." Gabriel said with a happy tone in his voice,ignoring the weird look Sam gave him and walking over to the doorway that led to the outside area of the cafeteria. From there, he and Sam walked along the side of the wall until they came upon the grassy area with a single large tree rose above the sidewalk.

Gabriel walked over to the tree, taking a seat at the trunk and letting out a sigh as he let his legs lie in front of him. Sam followed suite, resting his tray on knees and shuffling off his backpack and sitting it beside him. Gabriel smiled at him, looking around with a pleased look on his face.

"This is nice." He commented, taking a bite of whatever flavorless meat he had grabbed from the line. They ate in silence like they normally did, watching a beetle crawl past. Gabriel perked, looking at Sam with a mischievous look.

"Hey, Sam. Wanna hear a story that happened a year or two ago?" Gabriel asked with a smug little smirk. Sam looked at him with furrowed brows, but eventually nodding, taking a bite as he listened.

"Well, I was butt naked and I woke up needing to use the bathroom..." Gabriel began proudly, watching as Sam froze and looked at him in confusion. Gabriel giggled at his expression and continued without a second thought. "So, I walk into the bathroom and then nearly jump out of my skin as a wood roach ran across my foot. I was just so tired that it made me so mad, and after finding two more, I just wanted them dead."

He paused to take a bite of his food, sipping on the small bottle of milk that they handed out and wrinkling his nose at the watery taste. "So, I grab the shampoo bottle and hairspray, because these little fuckers were fast, and for the next hour, I sprayed at them with hairspray and tried to drown them in shampoo. I got one that way, and I got another by sticking a plunger on top of it and smothering it to death. The last one was being really tricky and ran into the bathtub, so I sprayed it with hot water and boiled it. I made a mess, but I finally killed them all." Gabriel smiled with triumph, as if the story he was telling was not his naked adventures with roaches. 

Sam pulled out his notebook after a moment, the same one that he tended to write in when he was talking to Gabriel. He scribbled something down and handed to Gabriel, who smiled at the letters. 'So, Battle of the Roaches?'

Gabriel grinned, loving the name and nodding to Sam, wrapping his arm around his friend, giving him a strong hug. "Yeah, battle of the roaches. Exactly." Gabriel replied, looking down at his food and pushing it away in a bit of disgust. Sam was busy writing something else, and Gabriel didn't even pretend to not notice the boy not eating his food.

"Aren't you going to eat?" Gabriel asked, pushing Sam's tray closer to him. Sam looked at the food then at Gabriel, blanching at the look of the disgusting mush on the tray. Gabriel sighed, and leaned back on the trunk, not really blaming Sam for not wanting to eat.

Sam went back to writing his notebook and finally pushed it towards Gabriel, a slight blush on his cheeks. Gabriel arched one eyebrow and looked down at the paper. 'Can I lean on you?' Ah, Sam's blush made sense now, since Gabriel was blushing as well. He nodded though and soon felt a soft pressure as Sam leaned his head on his shoulder. The boy let out a yawn and Gabriel glanced from the corner of his eyes to see the boy had closed his eyes.

Gabriel understood though why Sam was always so sad and tired. Hell, he had been there for one of Sam's nightmares that left both Gabriel and Sam shaking for several hours afterwards. The way that Sam arched his back in panic, letting out cries of fear though he didn't even speak in his dreams, it terrified Gabriel, and when Bobby had to hold Sam down while Ellen tried to wake him up, Gabriel almost threw up. 

Remembering it now made him shake, and he didn't remember when he started, but only that Sam let out a soft grunt before the boy's warms arms encircled his body, easing his shaking. Gabriel didn't say anything, but he laid his head on top of Sam's, ignoring the tears that leaked from his eyes as he finally let one of his walls crack, just for this time.