Hell

Gabriel kicked the pebble as he walked, his eyes turned towards the ground beneath his feet as he passed by the bustle of people in the small town. His backpack was pulled close to him as he turned onto the less crowded street that led to his house, a deep sigh leaving his lips as he finally glanced up to check the road was empty before hurrying over.

Sam had left after first period, and although Gabriel only had two classes and lunch with him, it left him feeling lonelier than he had since he first met the boy. But, there was nothing that could be done, so he sat in silence in his classes, focusing on the words that meant nothing to him on his notes.

Getting home was no better, as the minute he walked through the door, his father, sitting on the living room couch with a dark look in his eyes, greeted him. Gabriel's face paled just a little, and he hesitated in his steps before slowly taking a step forwards towards the hallway in case he needed to run.

"Come with me, Gabriel." His father said, standing slowly and motioning towards the kitchen. Gabriel swallowed nervously, walking into the room and seeing his mother standing at the counter with her head in her hands. He froze, but felt a push from his father until they were both there, and he was sitting at the counter.

"Now, I'm only going to ask you once, boy." His father said, narrowing his eyes at Gabriel. His mother shivered before quickly walking out of the room. "Are you a faggot?"

"W-what?" Gabriel replied, confusion falling over his face. Of all things to ask, he hadn't expected that from his father.

"Claire told me she saw you hugging another boy at school." His father growled, and Gabriel felt his shoulders tense. Claire was his aunt, and she was a teacher at the school. "Are. You. A. Faggot?"

Gabriel turned his head away from his father, refusing to play this game. He knew that he would have been beaten for whatever answer he said. His father's 'hmph' was all the information he needed to know that he had all the information he needed. What he didn't expect was his father pushing away from the counter and walking out of the room, leaving Gabriel in silence.

Then came his mother's scream, followed by his father shouting. Gabriel stood, his heart racing as he quickly ran into the room and coming upon the sight of his mother's hair in his father's hand, holding her cheek and letting out sobs.

"It's your fault he's like this!" His father shouted, bringing his fist down on the back of her head. She stumbled, barely staying upright as she struggled to escape his grip. Gabriel grabbed his arms, tugging and jerking his grip away from her hair, only to be flung backwards as his father shoved him away.

Glass shattered underneath him as he landed on the coffee table sitting in the middle of the room, allowing him to fall into the metal and bruise his shoulders and legs as they jarred against the black frame. Glass drove themselves into his back, and his shirt was soon doused in the warm liquid of his blood as he struggled to sit up.

That moment of freedom spurred his mother into action and she shoved his father away and grabbed Gabriel, pulling him to his feet and escaping down the hallway. She shoved him into a room, the guest room and shut the door behind him, holding it tight from the outside.

"Lock the door and don't come out no matter what, okay?" His mother said through the door. Gabriel heard shouting coming from the outside the living room, and heard his mother give off a little prayer. Gabriel backed away as the shouting came closer, and he felt panic seize his limbs.

He rushed over to the window and jerked it up, tearing at the screen until it came loose. He didn't even glance back as he heaved himself out the window, pain searing his back as the glass shifted with his muscles. He let out a soft cry, but fell onto the ground outside, dragging himself up and running down the sidewalk.

He didn't know where he was going, but it didn't matter, because all he wanted to do was escape the hell that he was forced to live through day after day.