Secrets

Sam was laying on the bed, staring out the small window and into the distance as Gabriel played a video game, focusing on killing the boss. He barely heard Sam shuffle behind him as he bit at his lip, dodging under the enemy's fire before hitting the enemy on the back of the tail, watching it flash red before exploding.

His hmph of triumph was soon distracted as he felt the side of a notebook touch his temple before warm arms encircled around him. He glanced back at Sam, but the boy was already walking out of the room. Gabriel looked down at his notebook, pressing his lips together.

'I'm going to the bathroom.' Was all it said, but Gabriel noticed the small arrow that Sam drew in the corner of the paper, pointing to the other side of the page. He flipped it over, his hands growing clammy as he dropped the notebook as the words stared up at him almost tauntingly.

'All those scars aren't just from your father, right?'

Gabriel felt like he couldn't breathe, his vision blurring as his hands shakily gripped his thighs, holding so tight that his knuckles grew as white as snow. He didn't know what to do, how to handle what Sam had found out so quickly. He refused to let the tears fall as he heard the door open only a moment later, letting out a soft whimper as he hid his face from Sam's view.

Those warm arms were back and even though they were a comfort, he couldn't help but let out a small sob as his hand gripped his own wrist, tracing those dreaded scars that he regretted ever making. Nevertheless, he gave one small nod before Sam's arms tightened pulling him closer.

Slowly, Sam reached over and picked up his pen, leaning over Gabriel and scribbling down a messy message. 'Does your mother know?' It said, and Gabriel shook his head at the shame he felt. Sam rested agains him for a moment longer before standing and slowly pulling Gabriel to his feet, keeping his arms around him gently as Gabriel cried into his hands.

Sam led him over to his bed and sat Gabriel down, his hand moving over Gabriel's back comfortingly before he pushed him back gently so he was laying down. Sam crawled in behind him, wrapping his arm around his waist and pulling Gabriel back against his chest.

Gabriel's breath caught in his throat as he felt Sam's warmth on his back, tears leaving his eyes as he felt Sam's nose on the back of the neck, pulling him even closer. He just wanted more warmth, more comfort that Sam was giving and flipped over, letting his nose brush Sam's as he cried.

"I'm sorry." Gabriel whimpered, hiccups leaving his throat as Sam only brushed his hair from his face before pulling him into a hug, interlocking their legs so that they were comfortable and letting Gabriel bury his face in the crook of his neck.

Gabriel was shaking in a way that he never imagined he could. How could he ever tell Sam that he stopped cutting because he was so focused on making Sam happy? How could he ever explain that Sam may have saved his life, even though he didn't even mean to?

"Thank you." Gabriel whispered into Sam's neck, feeling the tears well up all over again. He felt Sam rub his back, the comfort making Gabriel's eyes flutter closed as his fingers tightened their grip on Sam's shirt, holding on for dear life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gabriel jerked awake when he heard the creaking of his door, turned his blurry vision to the entrance of his room where the frame of his mother stood, a sad expression on here face as she walked into the room, taking a seat at Gabriel's desk chair and pulling it closer to the bed.

Gabriel tried to get up, but he could feel Sam's grip tighten despite him sleeping, holding on stubbornly. Gabriel did manage to flip over so he was facing his mom now, the soft cloth of the pillow underneath him soothing his patchy skin that revealed his tears.

"Do you want to talk about it?" His mother asked, running her cold fingers gently over his forehead and pushing away the strands of hair that hovered in front of his eyes. He swallowed thickly before shaking his head, his hand subconsciously finding Sam's and holding on to it.

"No. I-I'm fine." Gabriel whispered, not trusting his voice to go any louder as he gave his mother a shaky smile. She smiled back, sad, but still comforting altogether as she leaned over, kissing his forehead gently before looking at Sam.

"He's very protective of you." She commented, making Gabriel glance back at Sam's sleeping face. He looked so peaceful, and the lingering sadness that was always in Sam's expression was gone, and it made Gabriel wish he could see that on Sam's face all the time.

"I'll let you get some rest. I'll wake you and Sam for dinner in a couple hours." She said, kissing Gabriel on the forehead one more time before standing, leaning over and kissing Sam on the forehead as well before leaving the room. Gabriel let out a sigh, turning back over in Sam's arms and curling up against the boy's chest, not noticing the small smile that appeared on Sam's face.