Chapter 8

"You look like you haven't slept in days." Hazel observed.

"That's just what every girl wasn't to hear." I sarcastically replied. I've been doing research on Mermaids for a solid week. I didn't want to be caught off guard by anything.

"Did you even sleep last night?" Faith asked.

"Barely, I've been up till late all week doing research" I answered and my eyes went wide, "For a midterms, obviously. What else would it be for?"

"Okay..." Hazel mumbled, "Anyways, how's Zayn doing?"

"Don't ask me." I said. My eyes trailed off to Zayn's table where our eyes met. I quickly looked away.

"What's that about?" Faith asked, having picked up on the tension in the air.

"Um, I sort of told him to leave me alone." I admitted

"Why the hell would you do that!?" Hazel questioned me, an eyebrow cocked.

"I don't want any unnecessary attention from Perrie." I stated.

"Screw her. You shouldn't let her push you around anymore." Faith said, banging her fist on the table.

"Easier said than done," I chuckled, "Besides, this crush was never gonna work out. Might as well not get my hopes up."

"There's plenty of other hot bachelors at this school," Hazel stated and scanned the cafeteria, "Like Liam. Did I tell you guys he asked for my number the other day?"

"That's awesome!" Faith cheered.

"Think he's gonna ask you to the dance?" I asked.

"I hope so!" Hazel groaned.

"Maybe he'll do it tomorrow at the game." I added.

"I can't make it. Babysitting." Hazel said with a frown.

"Me neither. My cousin's wedding's on Saturday and my mom wants to leave Friday night." Faith said.

Damn, guess I was alone on this one

__

The Dolphins were winning, as always. My mind wondered to how I was going to get rid of my tail. Google failed me on that end. Maybe I had to go back to where it happened during the same moon phase. I felt like I was grasping at straws here. The announcers voice brought me back to reality as the final play of the game unfolded.

"Touchdown! Dolphins wine" The announcer cheered into the microphone. Louis slammed the ball onto the field and did a victory dance.

Zayn took off his helmet and screamed with excitement. I wish we could've stayed friends but with Perrie in the picture, that was not going to happen. I sighed and took off my dolphin head, trying to fix my hair. I was relieved the game was over.

"Hey, Avery!" I heard Perrie's voice from behind. I sighed and turned to face her.

"What do you-" I began but was cut off as the cheerleading squad dumped a cooler full of water onto my head. It pooled inside my costume and the audience began to laugh.

My eyes widened and I frantically searched for a hiding place. I spotted the secluded gym supply shack and sprinted as fast as I could. 

__

Zayn's P.O.V

I couldn't believe my eyes. Perrie had ordered the cheerleaders to dump a cooler filled with water on Avery. She looked distressed and disappeared inside the gym shack next to the locker rooms. The excitement from the game washed away as I approached Perrie.

"What the hell, Perrie!?" I shouted. She looked taken back.

"Avery's been acting thirsty. I just wanted to help her out." She sassily answered and giggled with the rest of the squad.

"What's wrong with you?" I angrier yelled and threw my helmet to the ground.

"Why do you all of a sudden care about her so much? She deserved that." Perrie whined and crossed her arms. She was a monster in disguise.

"You deserve this," I said, inching toward her. "We're done."

"What!?" Perrie shrieked as I stormed off to find Avery.

__

Avery's P.O.V

I rushed inside the shack and unzipped my costume before tumbling to the floor. Gym supplies was messily stocked to the ceiling, a few tennis racks falling over as I landed. It smelt like mold in here. I searched for something to dry off with and found a box of neatly folded workout rags. Perfect.

"Avery?" Zayn called out. I heard the sand crunching underneath his steps. I lunged forward and held the door handle steady.

"What do you want?" I answered.

"I saw what happened," Zayn said, jiggling the door handle, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Zayn. Just go back and celebrate your big win with Perrie?" I responded, sighing in frustration.

"I'm not going anywhere until you let me in." He stated and jiggled the handle violently.

"Just go away." I cried out. This whole situation was a complete mess. I wish I never talked to Zayn in the first place. 

It was silent on the other side of the door. I was relieved. I leaned against the wooden structure and shut my eyes. Why was this happening to me? I heard a loud thumping noise and turned to see the door being kicked in by Zayn.

"I just need to see that you're-" Zayn said before glancing down at me. I nervously smiled and gave him a little wave. He froze in his place and me heart rate picked up. The door slammed shut as he stumbled backward into towers of boxes.

"Zayn," I said softly, "Be calm. I can explain."

"W-What are you!?" Zayn whispered.

"I-I'm a mermaid." I replied.

I felt like someone threw me in the deep end.