Chapter 9

"This is impossible." Zayn breathed out.

"I had the same reaction," I started. Zayn was at a loss for words, "You can't tell anyone."

"I-I won't," Zayn said and inched closer, "Not like anyone will believe me."

"Thank you."

"You had legs at school today. H-How?" He asked curiously.

"I only have the tail if I touch water " I explained.

"How do you make it disappear?"

"It has to be completely dry." I said while scrubbing off the nasty slim.

It didn't seem to be working too well. Zayn crawled closer until he was at the end of my tail. He reached out a hand and hesitated, looking at me for approval. I nodded my head. He was about to touch it when a loud knock startled us.

"Zayn, you in there, mate?" Niall called out.

"The door!" I panicked and Zayn quickly pressed his body against it.

"Everything's alright." Zayn answered.

"What are you even doing?"

"Checking  on Avery." Zayn replied and exchanged a worried glance with me.

"Well, just wanted to warn you that Perrie's causing a scene out here." Niall explained and Zayn sighed loudly. She was probably mad that Zayn ran after me.

"Thanks for the warning" Zayn said. Niall left.

"What's up with Perrie?" I questioned.

"I broke up with her." Zayn confessed.

"Zayn! Oh my god!" I said as my body was paralyzed with fear

"I saw what she did to you. She was horrible." Zayn added.

"I'm dead. She's gonna kill." I nervously said.

"I won't let her." Zayn said and stared into my eyes.

The fear washed away as Zayn's brown eyes comforted me. I shook my head and focused on drying off my tail. It was quiet.

"Did Perrie have something to do with you storming out last week?" Zayn blurted out.

"Yeah, she basically told me to leave you alone or else," I answered. My tail disappeared after a few minutes, "I'm good now."

We exited the shack and I lugged my costume over my shoulder. I wasn't prepared for what Perrie had in store. I didn't want to know what she'd do now that she doesn't have Zayn. She was going to blame me. A groups of cheerleaders kept guard outside the locker room and once they saw me, they disappeared inside. A few seconds late, Perrie came barreling out.

"I'm going to kill you!" She screeched. She ran towards me with her claws out. I dropped the costume and stumbled backwards, tripping on my own feet. At the last second, Liam appeared and grabbed Perrie by the waste.

"Leave me alone." I yelled back, wondering where the courage came from. Zayn helped me off the ground.

"I can't believe I ever dated you." Zayn spat at her. 

"Zayn," Perrie cried as he shook his head and walked away. She wiggled out of Liam's grasp, point a finger at me, "You're going to pay for this, chum!"

I knew what she was capable off. A shiver went down my spine as I watched her stomp towards the parking lot. I picked up the costume and retreated to the locker room. I couldn't comprehend what had happened tonight.

Zayn knew my secret, he was single, and Perrie was going to murder me.