Chapter 17

Zayn's P.O.V

"Avery, call me back. Why are you ignoring me?" I frustratingly said and hung up the phone.

That's that 5th message I've left her in week. She hasn't talked to me since I asked her to the dance. She probably doesn't like me in that way. My phone rang and Avery's name was on the screen.

"For a second there I thought you were-" I started.

"Zayn, this is Hazel." Hazel muttered into the phone.

"Why are you answering Avery's phone?" I questioned.

"I haven't been able to drop it off and I forgot to bring it to school with me." Hazel explained. That's why I haven't been able to get ahold of Avery.

"When are you dropping it off?"

"We aren't really talking at the moment since she's keeping secrets from me. She totally freaked out at school and tried to convince us that she's a mermaid." Hazel explained and sighed. I thought her tail had to be a secret? Something must've happened to drive her to tell them.

"That's pretty weird. Did you believe her?" I nervously laughed.

"Of course not," Hazel laughed as if it were obvious. Avery didn't show them proof. "Mermaids aren't real, Zayn."

"Don't be too hard on Avery. She's just in a weird place right now." I reassured and heard a knock at my front door. "I have to go but try to make up with Avery."

I jumped off the couch and strolled over to the door. I swung it open and saw Perrie grinning at me before brushing past me into my house.

"What are you doing here, Perrie?" I asked and shut the door behind her. She wondered over to the couch and turned on her heels to face me.

"I came to visit my favorite player." She cooed and took a step forward, running a hand long my arm. I brushed off her hand and rolled my eyes.

"I don't have time to talk right now so if you would please leave." I politely asked and motioned towards the door. Perrie placed a hand on her heart and gasped.

"Is that anyway to treat your girlfriend?" She slyly added and smirked.

"Did you not hear me?" I stated with a confused expression. "You're not my girlfriend anymore, Perrie."

"Actually, I am and you're taking me to the dance Friday."

"I'm already going with Avery." I retaliated.

"Not anymore you're not," Perrie responded. "I know a little something about Avery that if it gets out, she'll be a bigger freak than before."

"What are you talking about?" I snapped as my eyes grew wider.

"Why tell you when I can show you?" Perrie smirked and showed me a picture on her phone. It was Avery and I down but my pond, tail and all.

"How did you get that?" I grabbed the phone from her hands to take a closer look. "Did you break into my house?"

"It doesn't matter. You're taking me to the dance whether you like it or not." Perrie warned. There was nothing I could do. I had to comply or Avery's secret would be out.

"Fine." I irretatebbly muttered.

"Great, my dress is pink so wear a pink tie. We have to be matching." Perrie winked and placed out the door.

I hate her with all my heart.

Avery's P.O.V

"Avery, your friends are here to see you." My mother called from down stairs. Friends? I lost the only ones I had. I strolled down the hall and saw Hazel and Flora standing by the door.

"Hi." Hazel greeted and held up my phone.

"Thank you." I grabbed the phone and stood there awkwardly. "Want to come up to my room?"

They nodded and we went upstairs to my room. Hazel flopped on my bed and Flora sat in one of my bean bags on the floor. It was silent for a moment.

"I'm sorry."

"We're sorry."

"I've haven't been myself lately."

"We understand." It went on and on until we were back to normal.

"The dance is this Friday." Hazel wiggled her eyebrows.

"I don't want to go anymore." I admitted. If I didn't go, I wouldn't have to face Zayn.

"We already bought our dresses, so you're coming." Flora pointed a demanding finger at me. I wasn't in the mood to fight with them, we just made up from before. No need to start another one.

"Why don't you want to go? The love of your life is your date." Hazel babbled

"You're right." I agreed even though I still felt uneasy.

"I love the underwater theme." Flora  gushed. Hazel nodded and rolled over on my bed to stare at the ceiling.

I was definatly swimmig into deep waters.

a/n

Thanks for reading and voting!

xoxo, leah