Affection

Caitlin's POV

I didn't know what to make of it.

I didn't know what to say to the three pairs of eyes that have been staring at me expectantly for the past 5 minutes.

"What, haven't any of you seen a girl in the hospital before?"

Dad leaned back on his feet to look at me, "Not my daughter, no. I haven't."

I opened my mouth but he cut me off. "This is no time for jokes Caitlin."

His voice was hard, "What happened?"

What happened? Oh yeah! Clementine brought me to the hospital, the doctor asked some questions, my head pounded and I nodded when he asked if there was any pain. Then they gave me a shot and I fell asleep, and my ear.. My ear! I reached up to touch-

"Don't-" Dad started.

"You shouldn't -" Michelle tried.

But I ignored them and proceeded to touch my numb ear.

"Does it hurt?"

I turned to look at Clementine who was worriedly looking at me.

I shook my head, it didn't hurt but I did have Something soft in it. Cotton? It made listening to then a little hard but it didn't bother me.

"You know what the doctor said? He said a little more impact, and you would've lost your hearing from that ear." Dad finished strongly.

I stayed silent.

"Just this much more force," Dad continued his voice quivering his eyes frantic. "So I'll ask you one more time. Who did it?"

I couldn't lie, if I kept staring at his protective gaze. So I didn't,

"It was Sean." I murmured my hands clenching the bed sheets, remembering Sean's violent expression.

"Sean?" Michelle and Dad said in question before recollection.

"S-Sean and I had an argument," Clementine sputtered out, surprising us all.

"He was yelling at her and he looked like he was about to hit her so I just pushed her out of the way," I intruded shrugging my shoulders. Forging indifference, not wanting to raise suspicion, but glancing at Clementine from under my eye lashes and smirking at her quickly. Before looking away.

Michelle gave me a grateful look but my Dad stared at me in disbelief, then  he glanced at Clementine and back at me. As if we were puzzles he didn't know how to put together and I hoped it stayed that way. Then he stood up his eyes focused once again and started pacing around the room.

"Dad? What are you going to do?"  I asked worried about the fierceness of his gaze.

"I'm going to press charges of course. Physical assault on school grounds enough for my daughter to have to go to the hospital is just!-"

"Dad I don't want to make a big deal out of this!" I interrupted him.

"What are you talking about? That boy-"

"I refuse to press charges," I countered. Narrowing my eyes, challenging him. He stared at me in surprise and slight frustration.