Chemistry

Clementine's POV

I look over to Caitlin's empty bed, curling myself into a ball and pulling the blanket tighter around me. I can't believe she actually left.

I hear a pained moan and I don't realize it's me until my eyes start stinging and a knot quickly builds in my throat.

"Fuck," I whimper pathetically, my eyes immediately beginning to sob. Yanking off my glasses off I press my fingers to my face angrily.

It wasn't fair. Why did I have to fall in love with her? Why did she have to be my stepsister of all people? Why did she do that to me? Why did I still love her completely?

I want to see her, I pressed my face into my pillow, feeling a growing emptiness at the pit of my chest I want to see her so much.

———-

Clementines POV

After three days of moping around and living in the complete darkness of my room, I gathered the courage to shuffle outside of Alberts office shakily.

I wanted to ask him.

He was the one who told mum and I that, "Caitlin went to stay at a friends house,"
And that's all.

I wanted to know With who, and if she was okay. And when she'd come home.

Despite the voice in me that yelled that I hated her I couldn't help but look for her.

I take a heavy breath and reach up to knock but before I could Albert opened the door.

He jumped. "Oh hello, Clementine," he greets awkwardly.

"Albert I wanted to ask-" I start my face flushing.

"Please come into my office." He blurted opening the door wider.

I furrowed my eyebrows at his weird acting but went in anyway. His oak colored office smelled like coffee and printer paper. Taking a seat I waited as he came around and sat in front of the desk. He looked sluggish and sick, like he looked like when Caitlin was in the hospital and he was waiting for the diagnosis. What if something had happened to Caitlin? Immediately I tensed up.

"I don't, I don't know what's going on." He mumbled, rubbing at his temple. I felt my face start to heat up as I grew anxious, was he about to start interrogating me? Would he pressure me to spill everything?

"You don't need to tell me everything," he explained, and I took a sigh of relief.

"Just tell me one thing..."

"Is it serious?"  He finally said.

"I-I don't understand.." I replied, sweat forming on my forehead.

"You and Caitlin? Is it serious?" He asked again.

My mouth went dry. Did Caitlin tell him? My heartbeat sped up.

Albert leaned back analyzing.

Suffocating, his stare was suffocating. Had he already told my mom? Did she know too? Was she upset? I suddenly wanted to cry.

Albert noticed my composure and quickly leaned in.

"No don't cry, here." He passed me his tissue box but I couldn't reach over I felt so paralyzed. Albert presses his lips distressed.

"I didn't know the fight was that serious... And to think she, she said she liked you..." His face went stoney and I quickly looked up at him. Fight? He was talking about the fight?

"What did that girl do? Just wait till she comes home she won't hear the end of it." Albert said upsetly glaring at his hands.

"Wh-where is she?" I murmured.