[25]: Alone

[A/N: Friendly reminder that this story was edited and character names have changed! If you are lost you may want to go back a chapter to refresh :)

Kolya is now Kieran
Noah is now Niall
Krish is now Cris
Scorpio is now Sergio]

Niall POV:

"I'm still really shocked you managed to calm him down so fast," Kieran said.

I shrugged, looking out the window at the world passing by. "I guess I just have that talent."

"But how?" He prompted. "I don't understand how."

I smiled at him. "It's...hard to explain. Something just kinda clicked for me and I knew what to say. I knew what to say because I felt it. Something about someone feeling the same way you feel just...feels really different when they say things like 'I'm sorry for your loss' to you. It just comforts you more than any other person could."

Kieran shook his head and squeezed my hand over the center console, smiling. Isaiah and Cris were following us to Kieran's house. Cris was texting me that Isaiah kept flirting with him and he was melting. I smiled a little, but it soon faded when the weight of everything started piling on my shoulders.

"Do you think Cris told Zay about her?" I asked weakly.

He shook his head. "No. He's Cris. He wouldn't be able to."

"Great," I muttered dejectedly. "I'll have to tell him."

He looked at me for a second and smiled sympathetically before returning his eyes to the road. "I can tell him if you want."

I nodded slowly. "I-I'm not sure. I'll...see if I can do it," I replied, feeling choked up.

He squeezed my hand. "Sure."

The rest of the ride was drowned in a comfortable silence.

Finally we got back and we got out. Cris parked behind us and Zay parked in the last available space.

Kieran and I walked in with the other two behind.

"Mom, we've brought friends over," Kieran called.

"Is Niall there?"

"Yeah I'm here," I replied, kicking my shoes off and entering the dining room.

"Bailey wanted you," she said, holding Bails in her arms.

"Come here, Lee," I said with a small smile, holding my arms out to her. She reached over from Maria and I took her. "What's wrong?"

She didn't answer, she just melted against me like silly-putty in the sun.

"Hey," I tilted my head to see her face. "What's wrong? Did you miss me?" She nodded hesitantly. "Lee?"

She looked up at me with glassy eyes. Just emotional, I could relate.

"Your birthdays are coming up."

A small grin broke across her face. "Yeah, we're turning seven!"

I nodded as Cris, Kieran and Zay all walked in.

"Crisy and Zay are here!" She cried, excitedly wiggling in my arms.

"Zay!" Sergio laughed, hugging Isaiah's legs and then hugged Cris's. "Crisy!"

"Hey little man," Isaiah grinned, "How're you?"

"I'm good!" He replied, holding up a paper. "I drew this!"

He held up the drawing of me that he'd finished when we came back before. I didn't get to see it yet, but he'd show me eventually.

"Wow Sergy," Cris said, crouching to get a better look. "That's really good. It looks just like him."

"I want down!" Bailey said, wiggling. I set her down and handed her her crutches.

She took them and wobbled over to them as fast as she could. "Zay! Crisy!" She giggled, gesturing for one of them to pick her up.

Isaiah volunteered to and lifted her up. "Aw, Bails what happened?"

Her grin slowly faded. "I hurt myself at dance."

They looked at me.

"She broke it," I clarified.

"Aw, Bails," Cris cooed, patting her head. "You'll be better in no time, right?"

She nodded, holding up her arm to flex. "Yeah! Lana said I'll be stronger than Kieran when it heals!"

"I'm sure you will," Isaiah laughed. I grinned at Cris, who bit his lip with his hand on Zay's back. I was going to tease him, but I decided to cut him some slack. They just got together.

"Hey where'd Kieran go?" I asked, just noticing he wasn't there.

"I don't know," Cris replied. "He probably went to the bathroom."

"Ny-Ny!" Sergio urged. "Look! I finished it!"

He held a picture up to me and I took it.

"Wow, Sergy, that's amazing," I said and grinned at him.

He had finished the picture of me. It was definitely me alright, right down to the poliosis streak in my hair and the waves.

Sergio was beaming at my praise.

"Sign my cast!" Bailey whined at us. "Sergy, Maria and Kieran did!"

"I didn't?" I asked.

She shook her head. "No. But I saved a spot for you!" She grinned, pointing to a space across the top of her foot.

Maria placed a sharpie on the table. "Hello Isaiah, Cris. I assume you're here because of the incident?"

I tensed and looked away from their gazes. Cris gave me a look that said 'shit, I didn't tell him'. "I'll, uh, go find Kier," I said, tensely clearing my throat and leaving briskly.

I didn't even get to leave the room when Kieran walked in. He caught my arms before we crashed into each other.  I cursed under my breath. There goes my escape.

I could feel Cris looking at me sadly. I avoided all of their eyes.

"I missed something," Kieran noted, looking at me.

"What incident?" Isaiah asked.

"Come on, guys," I said to Bailey and Sergio, trying to sound upbeat. "Let's go color in the living room."

Bailey nodded, and hobbled to follow me, while Sergio helped her, carrying coloring books and pencils and such.

"Wait what happened?" Isaiah asked. I caught a glimpse of Cris tugging on his sleeve, for him to sit down.

I sat on the couch, watching the twins color as if nothing was wrong. I kept my eyes everywhere but their eyes. I didn't want to tell them, I really didn't, but I know when I was six I appreciated my mom telling me that Dad had died. I didn't want to hide anything from them.

My intuition was always really good, but sometimes I mistook my anxiety for intuition and would get paranoid. But for some reason when I was talking to Sergio that night, I just wasn't on alert. Fuck, I wanted to stop blaming myself. Kieran was right that maybe my text wouldn't have made a difference, but even then the possibility that I could have prevented it made me feel worse.

"Ny-Ny," Bailey said. Her little voice sounded as stern as it could since she was so young. "You promised."

I looked at her confused.

"You promised," she urged. "You promised no more sad, Niall."

I smiled at her. "You're right. I'm sorry."

She smiled triumphantly and kicked her leg over in front of me. "You have to sign in pink because you're Ny-Ny, okay?"

I smiled and took the pink sharpie from her and wrote my name where she saved a spot for me.

She grinned and pulled her foot away, looking at my name. "Now I can always see your name and feel happy!" She giggled.

I smiled again and passed a hand over her hair. "Always?"

She nodded. "Yep! I always see your name and feel happy when I'm sad!"

"I'm glad," I said, letting my smile fall. "Bailey, Sergio, I have something to tell you."