Two.

I roll myself out of bed and look in the mirror. I have the same straight line drawn across my lips. The same hollow gray eyes that never reflect much emotion and the same dull blonde hair that people despise. I just want to change, why can't I change?

"Alice! I'm home honey!" Mom yells at the top of her lungs. It's kinda hard to talk to each other in such a big house.

"Ok!"

I glance back in the mirror and try to pull my lips into a smile. That will never fool anyone, Alice. A smile seems so foreign to me. Like something far, far, far away.

"Alice, breakfast is ready!"

I rush back down the two flights of stairs and make it to the kitchen gasping for breath.

"Good morning."

"Good morning, mom. How was your trip?"

"Ok, I won the case. I'm going to be leaving tomorrow for another one."

"Great."

"You know honey, I've been thinking."

She paused as if she was actually thinking.

" Why don't you come with me. It'll be a week away from this house and you seem A little low lately. "

"I don't know if you've noticed mom but I'm always low."

"Come on, come with me. I even found a nice little record store you can go to. I'll give you a little money to buy some stuff."

"Plane or car?" I question

"Car, I thought the road trip would be nice, just me and you listening to some music on our way across the country! It sounds awesome!"

"Where are we going?"

"Does that mean you'll go!?"

"Where would we be going?" I rephrase my question.

"Ummm, Ohio."

Ohio, little ole Ohio.

What would I do there!?

Sleep, eat, and buy new records. Sounds pretty nice to me.

"I guess I'll go."

"YAY! IM SO GLAD! We'll get some one on one mother daughter time!"

Yeah, when your not working on your case.

I finish my bowl of cereal, and run upstairs. One more day of school and I'm done. Winter break is here. Yay.

I guess we'll be spending Christmas in Ohio. Maybe that's why she invited me to go, she didn't want me to spend Christmas by myself.

I go upstairs and strip off the clothes I had on the day before, and put on a pair of light colored skinny jeans and a black t-shirt. I slip on my worn black converse, I grab my maroon colored jacket from the closet, and my book bag and leave without saying a word to my mother.

On the way to school I pull my hair into the messiest bun in the world and pray no one notices my two day hair. As I walk down the cracked concrete I notice a Penny laying on the ground, without thinking I pick it up and put it in my pocket. I could use some good luck.

I make it to the the prison they call school and see Lilly pull into the school parking lot. She hops out and runs up to me.

"Hey girl!"

"Hey."

"What are you up to?"

"Not much, just trying to get by this last day of school."

"Oh my god, guess what?! Jacob aske-"

I quit listening. Not because I don't care what the only person I can call my friend says, but because I know it is probably about Jacob. Her crush, or boyfriend or whatever he is.

Anyone would be lucky to have Lilly.
She's sweet, kind, and fun to be around. At times I feel like she's the light that guides me out of my darkness.

Lilly attracts a lot of attention though. She has long curly brown hair,dark skin that seems to shimmer in the sunlight, and beautiful honey brown eyes that can draw anyone in.

She is my role model.

She is always there for me, her beauty doesn't matter. Her happiness is what makes her shine.

When Lilly pokes my shoulder she pulls me out of my trance. We are now standing in the senior hallway.

"Do you think he likes me?"

"Who wouldn't?" I pull my lips into another fake smile and she smiles back.

"Thanks."

I run to my first period, find my seat at the back of the class, sit down and start to day dream.

Repeat this seven times and the day is over.

I sit in my last class like I do everyday and wait for the traffic to go by. Wouldnt want to get pushed.

Ms. Kate comes over and starts another conversation.

"What are you doing over break?"

"I'm going to Ohio."

"Family?"

"No, my mom's job."

"Oh, that's a long trip. California to Ohio."

"Yeah, but there's a record store."

"That's good. Well have fun for me!"

"I'll try."

And with that the school day was over.

I walk out side and wait for Lilly to pick me up. She rolls down the window to her nice blue sports car.

"Come on! Traffics heavy!"

I run up and throw my stuff I the car. The interior smells like bubble gum and cotton candy perfume.

"Let's go shopping!"

"Ok." I didn't argue I needed I little something warmer for Ohio.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We get to the mall an go straight to the winter department. I grab a big marshmallow coat and try it on.

"How do I look?" Asking Lilly.

"Honey, no" she giggles and grabs a black wool coat.

"Here put this on, its in style."

"It looks good, but will it keep me warm in Ohio"

"Your going to Ohio!"

"Yeah, with my mom."

"You're just now telling me!"

"I just found out this morning!"

"I guess Ohio can't get that cold." She shrugs her shoulders.

"I don't know."

We bought the coat, gloves, a scarf, a couple sweaters, and a couple pairs of jeans and left the mall.

Shew, I'm glad thats over.

The ride home is usual.

"Sooooooo, what do you wanna listen to?"

"Ummm, I don't know"

I pull out my song book, and flip through till I find winter 2015.

"How about holding on to you by twenty one Pilots."

__________

Was that ok? Any tips are appreciated! Josh should be introduced in the next 2 or three chapters! Comments / votes / reads are appreciated!