Thirteen.

* Trigger warning *

'Honey, we can work this out. I'm sorry, please don't leave. Stay for Alice.' My mother pleads as she follows dad from the kitchen into the living room.

'You bitch, I wouldn't stay for either of you.'

He opens the door and begins to leave.

'Where are you going daddy?' I get off the couch and walk over to my arguing parents.

As soon as I latch onto his leg, the smell of alcohol overwhelms me.

'Get off of me pig.'

I foot goes into my rib cage and I cry out with the sound of cartoons and my crying mom in the background.

_______

"Alice?"

"Oh god."

"Alice?"

I shutter in response.

"What? Alice? Are you ok?"

I lean my head into joshes chest and monitor the beating of my heart. I almost went there, The place of no return. I've tried so hard to forget the darkness of my past, but I knew I couldn't hide it away forever. The street lights illuminated everything in the dim room. The crackles from the classical music pouring from the record player was coming to an end.

Josh gently sways us back and forth, his hands still wrapped around me. He brings one up and starts playing with my hair, twirling it in circles around his fingers.

"Alice, I don't know about your past but I know if you ever need anyone to talk to I'll be there." His breath rolls down my neck.

I tighten my grip.

"I had troubles when I was your age."
He pauses.

"But luckily I had people who loved me enough to help me through."

His hand drops down to my back.

"I know you have at least have two people."

He rested his head on top of mine and we gently turned in circles. Even though the music has stopped I don't think either of us want to break apart.

"Why don't you come to my house tomorrow? We're having a Christmas dinner."

I pull away leaving a empty gap between us.

"I'd love to."

___________________

The next day, Christmas dinner.

Joshes pov

"Sorry if my family says anything off hand. They tend to do that." I say.

Even with the negative degree weather my hands are sliding off the steering wheel.

"Oh, its completely fine."

What is my mom going to say about me bringing a eighteen year old girl home. She'll probably be off her rocker. How will I explain it? It kinda just happened. I met her and really liked her and asked her to meet the family.

"I can't wait to meet your family. I bet there really nice."

"Eh sometimes." Oh god, I'm probably scaring her to death.

I pull into the drive way of my childhood home and barely have a place to park. Cars are scattered throughout the yard and driveway. Gramps is sitting in the rocking chair on the front porch shaking his cane at the children running around his feet.

Home sweet home.

I open the door and children come running.

"JOSHY!"

They all hop onto my legs.

"Hey now, I've got to go get Alice out!"

They all giggle in unison.

"Ok off." They all get off and run to the front door. Before I knew it Alice was standing beside me.

"You should have waited, I would have helped you out."

"Oh come on."

She nudges me.

"I can get out on my own." She laughs.

"Wha-, I'm trying to be a gentleman."

"The kids sure looked happy to see you." She begins to walk to the door.

"I guess so." I bring my hand up to my neck. As we walk up the steps gramps stands up.

"Hey sunny. Whos this lovely lady?" He takes Alice's hand and kisses it ever so lightly. She just laughs it off. My grandpa is a lady's man.

"She's a friend, why do you ask?"

He drops her hand.

"Because if you don't make it official, someone will." He opens the door and chauffeurs her in.

"Thank you."

I follow behind my grandpa.

As we enter the house all heads turn to alice, who may I say looks stunning.

Mom jogs over to Alice, gramps, and me.

"Who is this Josh?"

"Oh, my name is alice. Nice to meet you!" She smiles, the room is silent.

Mom quietly examines her. I can see the fear in Alice's eyes.

"WELL CALL ME MOMMA DUN!" Mom brings in a big hug and alice stands there confused. The room goes back to its usual chatter.

As mom let's go from her boa constrictor hold she begins to speak, "so are you two dating?"

Oh lord.

"No mam."

"Sweety no need for all this proper talk. Just call me momma dun." She smiles ear to ear.

"Yes, ma- momma dun."

I can't help to grin. Alice fits right in.

"Have a seat dear." Mom walks her over to the sofa and sits her down. On the way back she whispers in my ear.

"You better watch, grandpa is scouting." She giggles and walks into the kitchen.

I walk into the den to see Ashley and Alice chatting.

"So what are you two talking about?" I ask as I sit down next to Alice.

"Aw nothing, just about how clumsy you are." Ashley says

"What did I do this time?" I question, their not lying. I'm pretty clumsy.

"Oh nothing, just knock over a box of records." Alice grins at me.

"What can I say! You made me nervous!"

Ashley chuckles and gramps sits next to me.

"Who makes you nervous?" Grandpa elbows me.

"No one."

"Alice." Ashley smiles.

"She makes me nervous too. She looks to be a very powerful woman."

"Grandpa!" Ashley yells.

"What? I'm just stating my opinion! Don't skin a sheep if you don't feel like lying in a bed of wool."

"Grandpa that makes no sense."  I laugh.

"Shouldn't have brought it up if you didn't want me to put my two cents in."

It's going to be a long day.

_________________

Leave feedback pls. I love you.

Qotd: momma dun or gramps?