Eight.

Alice's pov

2 days until Christmas was my first thought when I woke up this morning.

Two days to get presents.

I jump in the shower and wash the sleep away and quickly get ready.

It's 57 degrees out so I might want to wear something a little warmer.

Jeans, converse, scarf and a nice fuzzy sweater.

I walk out of the bathroom and slip on my big wool coat. The TV in the corner of the room is blaring something about snow and dropping temperatures.

Ehhh, it can't be that bad.

"Where are you going?"
Mom walks out of the other bathroom still in her pj's.

"Out."

"Call me, I'm staying in today." She rubs her eyes and craws back into the bed.

"Ok."

With that I turn and leave the hotel room.

Where to go? Where to go?

I could go to the little stores two blocks down. I saw them driving to my hotel!

I start my cold journey as I push the turning doors open.

It feels like its twenty degrees out, not fifty something. I chatter my teeth as I walk down the cracked side walk. It never got this cold in Cali. I might see snow.

I turn down a street I think is heading south.

Christmas lights were flashing brightly in every store window and every street lamp had a merry Christmas flag flying proudly in the winter wind.

It actually looks like Christmas.

Unlike my home there are people that look like their actually happy Christmas is here.

Jingle bells from charity programs grows louder as I walk down the crowded streets and unlike usual I pull out a one hundred dollar bill and put it in the bright red bucket. The woman watches in amazement and looks up to me as if I'm a savior.

"Thank you so much dear! Your donation is very much appreciated."

"No problem."

I flash her a one hundred dollar smile and walk down the street with a new found bounce in my step.

I'm really getting good at this happy thing.

I peer into a window and see a small sign flashing 'great gifts'.

I turn immediately. It's not like I'm in a big rush or anything.

As soon as I open the door a rush of warm air hits me and the smell of old books and Christmas candles floats in the breeze. I look around the room filled with a variety of things like books, gloves and hats, cards, candies, and a wide range of other things.

A middle aged man walks up to me and hands me a card.

"Everything is 50 percent off. Merry Christmas!" He smiles and I immediately smile back.

I start eyeing the store trying to find which part I want to look at first. Books.

I walk over to the rows upon rows of books and brush my fingers across the spines of each, Making sure to take deeper breaths so I can remember the smell that seems so foreign.

"I think you might like this." I jump and the man chuckles.

He hands me a book with the title 'winter romance'.

"Thank you." I look up to his face and smile.

I sit down in the chair and begin to flip through the book.

I love you. Blah blah blah. He hands me his coat. Blah blah blah. He wraps his arms around me and kisses me sweetly. Blah blah blah.

I spend the next twenty minutes flipping through the book before I realize I'm the only one left in the store. I jump up and run over to the counter.

"What time is it sir?" I ask politely trying to be nice and all.

"6:23"

Oh. My. God.

I shove my hand in my pocket and pull out my phone.

4 missed calls, and the worst part is that my phone only has three percent.

Jesus.

I lay the book on the table and begin to pull out my wallet in search for my card.

"Don't worry about it dear."

I look up at him with a look of uncertainty.

"Are you sure?"

"You sat there for two hours reading, I think you deserve to keep it." He grins.

"Thank you." I smile back and wave goodbye as I walk out the door.

Not only was I surprised to see that it was dark outside, but it had also snowed about one foot.

The empty streets are still lit by the Christmas joy but the people are gone, leaving the streets isolated.

Everything store was closed and no cars dared to drive through the snow.

Panic began to set in.

I pull out my phone and as soon as I type the password in it goes black.

My heart begins to race.

I look up at the street signs trying to remember which direction I came from.

I think I was heading south so I begin to walk north. I pass a small bakery. A coffee shop. A pharmacy. A hair salon. A pottery place. A consignment store. A library. A toy store. A book store.

Wait. A book store. I look up and see the same flashing sign.

Even more panic sets in.

In loss of ideas I find a bench sitting underneath a canopy of the coffee shop.

I pull my legs up to my chest and begin to sing a song.

"It's the most wonderful time of the year."

I watch the snow flakes hit the already snow covered ground.

"With the kids jingle belling
And everyone telling you Be of good cheer."

My nose begins growing numb as the seconds tick by.

"It's the most wonderful time of the year."

I Burry my face into my knees in search for any heat I could possibly find.

What feels like hours ticks by and I feel like I'm sitting in ice water. My eyes begin to water and my hands begin to shake.

Im loosing all hope.

"Mam, are you ok?"

__________________________

How was that??

Comment/vote/comment :)