The Mule and Spider

“But you should stay!”

“I really have to go…”

“G-ahhhh!!” I sat upright in my bed, my breathing a constant pace of the fastest tempo. It was enough to make me light-headed in a couple of minutes. I had imagined that I was falling, and though I already had knowledge of my body twitching prior to waking up, the jolts weren’t as strong enough to stir me awake as the one I had now. 

My dream was an odd thing really, because I’d dream of it several times since I had joined the team. I couldn’t make out the scene, the voices or even the people saying them. Twice I debated on the owners of the voices, but it all amounted to just the tones of little kids. Shortly after this dream I’d switch to a different dream, like the falling one I had just a few moments ago.

I looked to my side.

It was pitch dark out there. I had imagined that Dell would at once have hurried outside the house and plunged into a study of the mystery of the surroundings that encompassed our location, perhaps a study that could’ve led to new machines that aided us in upcoming battles. But that was my imagination. My brain seemed so out of it right now.

Because we were so out in the open, even constellations were visible from my line of sight. We weren’t even close to a city. Best guess is that whatever was around our main turf for more than a few ten or so miles, was more gravel and dirt. Although I had never even let the thought of loneliness cross my mind, it sure did at this time. But we weren’t completely alone as a team. If there was a RED team, there sure must be a BLU team.

I switched my view from the window down beside me to my shoes. I wanted to go outside, to smell the fresh air. Obviously the food I ate earlier may still have had its effects on me, but nevertheless I was much better than before. I removed my covers and revealed my feet, staring at my socks for quite a while. I then quickly disregarded my shoes as I glided towards the window.

“Where is the lock on this thing?” I whispered. A short passage it was, as it led to the roof of the main room, where I decided I’d perch myself onto and watch the night go on by to pass the time.

I had eventually uncovered the location of the locks, and with a mere click of each I was out in the open. The roof consisted of both wood and tin, and it was difficult to move from a spot to another without a few simple creaks. Not that I assumed that anything would wake up the team, anyways. I found a comfortable spot and blankly looked straight above me.

----------

Now there were two roofs. Out in the distance was the roof to the kitchen, where all the men heartily had sang in chorus to every pouring of beer and anything else of the sort. Not only were there two roofs important, but there were also two minds. Two minds, two hearts, two bodies ‒ two people.

It seemed he was not the only one who had not survived the night. He watched her, and he watched her very carefully. His eyes were still as half open as they were that earlier morning, only this time it accompanied the time of day. He set his soda down, wiped his mouth and held his knees close to him as she did during her body’s reaction to the food.

All this time he sat and wondered about the newbie that had now taken comfort in the position she had been in all along. Although most of his thoughts proved meaningless, it did keep him awake a little while longer.

She was a challenge to him, probably a test from Hale, the deceased Manns and even Miss Pauling. It was a test of his skills. The threat, the class, and even vague, distant hatred were all things that he was sure he saw through.

“Why else would they ‘ave put anotha spy ‒ a girl spy?” He angrily muttered and took another sip before crumpling it and discarding it onto the ground.

Without warning he felt the kiss of a drop to his cheek. Rain was very unusual near their base, though it was always welcomed by both emotions of relief and sorrow. He wondered if she felt it too, for he wasn’t going inside until she did. It may be another test of his strength for sure.

Drop upon drop wetted his skin and darkened his clothing, and soon the rain bore all characteristics of a rhythmic drum of a full-on shower. It patted the wood and the tin, it trickled down into the wind-waving grasses, and while the unabsorbed all was collected at the bottom of a nearby hill, the rest were taken in like a sponge.

“What is wrong with her?” He peered from the shield of his hat over to Ava. She looked as relaxed as before ‒ if even, much more relaxed. She was still breathing.

By this time the pouring water had gone cold, and his clothing had clumped onto his skin to expose how unproportional his torso was to the rest of him. He was in desperate need of a nice jacket. However, he thought, that if not needed by the girl, then it was also not needed for him.

Moments passed and in this point in time the storm had completely numbed him. His form was practically frozen, almost as if he was now a piece of furniture, conceivably a misplaced chimney hole. Unnoticed by his apathy, Scout’s nose had ran faster than his legs could, with snot completely running down his nostrils, and even his knees at which he still held close to his face.

The mule, bound by his stubbornness, eventually drifted away to his dreams of absolute supremacy to all.

The spider, on the other hand, was dead asleep, knocked out cold all the while.

----------

Thank you for reading! A different style of writing I used here... hopefully it was good enough!