A New Kind of Medicine

So with the start of this new day, I got up as usual. Mission day ‒ that I knew by heart now of the daily schedule. I looked in the mirror.

Still in that place, was I? That terrible, terrible dark place where absolutely no part of me looked presentable to the human race. Yep, I was in that place. I'm thankful for these times that my job requires me to wear a mask and a full body suit. And I could cloak. I was just a tired mess.

I've gotten used to waking up early now, and by how early, that would be subjective. My interpretation of it would be whether or not any streak of sunlight was out yet. In this case, it was still dark, so therefore it was early. We have no clocks here at all‒functioning clocks I mean, that would be regulating our sleep patterns or tasks. It was all voiced through the intercom by the noise of the Administrator; that slightly raspy, old voice. As for the mornings, it was whoever woke up first. And usually there was at least one or two people up at these hours. That included me. And always Dell.

I hung my left hand about my neck as I sat up on the edge of my bed. Was I even tired? All the blood rushed upwards, and my vision fell dark for a few seconds. I slid my shoes out from underneath the bed and slipped them on.

I stayed still like that for quite a long time. So long, I guess, that I even fell back asleep.

I shifted in my bed before wildly jumping and scrambling to the window. No one woke me up again?! I was pretty sure by the amount of light here that it was at least around the middle of the day! My door was open to the hallway, yet nothing was touched in my room. Someone must've checked on me and then left? With my shoes still on, I exited my room.

The hallway was empty, and Medic's door was open. I peered inside, only to see that he had left, too.

"Lookin' for somebody, partner?" Dell appeared behind me.

"Yeah... uh... don't we have a mission?"

For a moment he paused. "Well, you might wanna see somethin' first. Follow me." So I did, and he led me past this hallway, over the bridge, past more hallways, and finally we reached our destination. I stayed quiet the whole time.

I took my mask off. "But this is Scout's room?" Dell laughed a little.

"Yep, then this is for sure the place." In front of us was Scout's bedroom door, and there seemed to be no noise coming from the other side of it. Was something wrong with him? "Go on, then," he said. "Open it."

I grabbed the handle and slowly turned it. Pushing the door, puffs of smoke hit me in the face which made me only open the door wider. There in the center of the room sitting on a stool, was Pyro in his nurse's hat, and a few feet away from him was Scout, cross-legged on his bed with some kind of vaporizer substantially resting right beneath his nose.

"I see what you were saying." I held in a laugh. Scout was sick, which meant that this was a free day. "Finally."

"Hey, don't get smug over there, ya two-faced rat."

"Me, two-faced?" I crossed my arms and smiled. Was this a joke?

He lifted his face from the vaporizer. "Yeah, you. I knew you were into this backstabbin' charade."

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"You think I'm stupid? Check it here‒there, I mean‒oh, wherever da hell it is. My head hurts."

"Hmhm hm hmckhm?"

"Yes, the bucket. What else am I sayin'?" And I watched Pyro jump off his stool to fetch the bucket in this cloud of smoke. As he brought it up to me, I... easily recognized it... my eyes widened.