Circus Caretaker

I gulped. 

"Hm..." I snapped my gaze from the shut door to Pyro. He pointed to his nurse's hat, "...hm hr hdkm!"

"My... doctor..." I slowly repeated. "..Okay." I took a note to my nasal-twisted voice, swallowed hard and hesitantly eased the covers to a little less than half my face.

"Hm!" And thrusted into my mouth was a thermometer, but the wrong way. I grudgingly brought my hands out from under the blanket and corrected the position, easily sliding the bottom to the underside of my tongue. I hid my hands back to my sides.

The thermometer's red steadily rose up, and just near the top was what I couldn't see when the pyro had rested the small towel above my head, covering parts of my eyes. It was a white cloth, cold and wrinkly from after being wrung out. 

I wasn't that dumb to figure out that it had rained last night, but dumb enough to even go outside in the first place. This wasn't the first thing I've regretted to do. 

I inched the towel away from my eyes and took to the scene of Pyro. He was examining the medicine very curiously, swishing around the liquid as he swirled the bottle around. He even flicked at it a couple times, barely even bothering to read what was printed on it; instructions that the rat of a human Scout had told him to do. What absolute fools! 

Suddenly, the pyro had raised a glossy finger in realization, jumped out of his chair and left me alone in my room. I immediately grabbed the medicine from the chair and scanned the printed words:

- The Business Dose

Directions: Every night before food once daily to be taken four times a day three times a day every three times daily take one take two take three one or two.

Warning: Follow the printed instructions you have been given with this medicine. Highly flammable. Keep children away.

Ingredients: Bought with Australiums (which means you can't afford to re-create anyways).

A product of Mann Co.

I'm sorry but what did I read. What kind of potentially lethal medicine doesn't come with clear instructions?? I quickly put it back in its place right before my nurse had reappeared and sat back down. He picked up the bottle, pushed at the lid and turned it open and, with a spoon, began to fervently mix all of the liquid with a seemingly glass of chocolate milk. 

The result had still remained a brown... only darker, and perhaps even more foul tasting than we had started with. He glanced at me, and I reached out my hands from below the covers to take the spoon and the glass. I didn't want him to feed me, and I surely didn't want to risk him acquiring the idea of a taste test first. He stopped me with that same gloved finger. 

"...What?" I protested. 

"Mmm-hm! Hn Hmcnd!" He placed the chocolate medicine back on his swivel chair and departed again. This time, returning with a red-and-white swirled straw, and a heavily tattered bag of marshmallows. 

 He dumped the rest of the bag in which remained maybe no more than 15 small marshmallows into the glass, humming some kind of elevator song I believe he can only know. The sweets plopped right in. He topped it off with a coil of whipped cream he pulled from his pocket, and, coming to the last notes of his song, stuck in the straw and bowed. 

"Mhda," he jumped and gratefully handed it over to me. 

'Tada' was right. What a show that was. 

For a small second I had forgotten it was actually medication and sipped along as he began to blow the most shapely bubbles and dance in front of me. I kept the cloth at my forehead with the opposite hand. Clearly the show wasn't over. The mixture didn't taste so bad. 

Suddenly a timer began to wildly buzz, sending the pyro into a blunder as he tripped over himself and off his hat fell. He scrambled over to the timer at the foot of my bed and stared at it for any more signs of buzzing and then dashed over to pick up the towel from my head that had now been warmed. 

He hurried off about the hallway once more, returning with the same towel. It felt icy to the touch, but comfortable enough. He set the timer again. 

"Yo!" Scout had trudged right in. He offered a high-five to Pyro. "How's she doin'?" To which the pyro had proudly given a thumbs up. 

"Haha, yeah, keep it up, Buddy," he said. "Ice cream's just 'round da corner." And turning to me, a grave feature molded his face, "What's up with you, Princess?" 

 I glanced at my reflection from a dresser opposite to my bed at the other side of the room. Turns out my neutral face didn't look as neutral as I thought it did. 

I crookedly smiled, "Nothing. Just resting where I know no one could sit on me." 

His eyes slightly enlarged and he remembered just what occasion I was talking about. He looked askance at my reference, and a small twitch of his eye almost sent me red with refraining from laughter. Instead I continued to sip at my medicine. 

As he turned to stubbornly leave, he muttered under his breath, "Let's hope that medicine does more than what it's s'posed ta do," and shut the door.

A brief silence sprung before the pyro could ask, "Whmks hms hmbhm?"

A sly smirk ran across my face as I had discarded the straw and began to finish the last of the whole medicine. I wiped my mouth, handed him over the glass and replied, "Maybe he just has to rest." The wild buzzing shortly followed.