Chapter One

It all started about two years ago, the dreams that come every time I sleep. But now they seem too real. It's like I'm not dreaming at all. It's like I am in the same room as Emerson and Aspen. With these dreams I wonder what they mean. They're constant and feel as if I'm right beside them doing what they are doing. I haven't even asked my mom about Keaton either. But he must be a big part of my dad's life if he is in  pictures with him. Maybe today's mall trip with Mackenzie will take all of this off my mind.

"So what are you planning on wearing to winter formal?" Mackenzie asks while looking through the variety of puffy dresses. "I don't know, I don't think I want to go." I look down at the rustic wooden floors of the store. "What do you mean Harlyn? You have to go. It's our last year of high school." She stares at me with full on seriousness. "I mean, a lot has been going on." I rub my arm nervously. "Oh really, like what?" She questions raising an eyebrow. "Okay, so I've been having these dreams. But they aren't like any dreams I've had before." I say. "What the hell? You must be joking with me. Having 'dreams' if you really don't want to go, give me a better lie." She says clearly upset. "No, I'm not joking, or lying. These dreams they come every time I sleep. And it's the same two people. Except I'm not in the dream. It's like they're around me but I'm not with them." I say looking straight at her. She's speechless just staring at me. Then starts walking away. "Come on Mack! Are you seriously leaving me!" I shout causing the people in the store to turn and look at me. She shakes her head walking out of the store. As I'm about to walk out after her I see someone I wasn't expecting to see.

He turns his head, feeling my eyes on him. His green eyes brighten when he sees me. "Emerson?" He nods from ten feet away from me.  Aspen appears, pulling his arm to catch his attention. Still standing in shock, they both start walking out of the store. "No wait!" I shout, finally getting the urge to move my feet. He looks back, and in one swift movement, they're gone. What just happened? I'm not asleep so I know I'm not dreaming. "Come on girl, I got you coffee. You obviously haven't had any sleep at all." Mack hands me a the large cup of the hot drink. "Thanks." I mutter taking a sip of the caffeinated drink.

Setting down the bag that holds the things I bought from the mall onto my bed. I think over today's events. Seeing Emerson, I should've went up to talk to him. But what would I say, "Hey Emerson, did you know I dream about you and Aspen every time I sleep?" I would sound like an idiot. Maybe I didn't actually see him. "Hey Har, there's a package for you on the dining table." Jake peeks his head into my room. "Alright, thanks Jake." I walk out of my room and downstairs to the dining table. The package is a small box, almost as big as a shoe box. Opening it I see a letter on the inside.

'Harlyn,

It's me, you should know. You weren't supposed to see me today. It's risky, you just wouldn't understand. We can't meet just yet. 

-E

P.S. Read this.'

I pick up the book in confusion. Why would Emerson give me this? How did he get my address? Were they actually in my room that first night? I open the book and the pages are empty. How am I supposed to read this if I can't see what's in it? "What's that Har?" I hear mom's voice ask. "Just a book a friend mailed me." I partially lie. "Aw that's nice." She says. I pick up the box and the rest of my mail and bring it up to my room.

 Tired of today I turn off my light, leaving only the open shades of my window be the only source of light. I sit on my window seat looking out my window and down our rocky driveway. Occasionally seeing green and blue lines moving around. Must be the fireflies.

"Harlyn get up. You're going to be late!" Jake shakes me awake."I'm up I'm up." I say falling off my window seat and onto the floor. It's 7:00, I have only thirty minutes to shower, and get ready for school. I jump into the shower washing my long dark hair and everything else. Getting out in ten minutes. Throwing on the first pair of jeans and shirt that I see then my shoes in another ten. Going back to the bathroom brushing my teeth and hair in another ten. Slipping my shoes on in the last few seconds. "Bye mom, bye Jake love you guys!" I shout out. Breathing heavily I turn on my car and make my way to school.

I get to school right as the first bell rings. I walk into my first period class and Mackenzie looks at me. "Whoa, what happened to you?" "Apparently I slept through my alarm." I breath out, rubbing my eyes. "Long night?" Mitchell, the guy who sits by me asks. I nod placing my head into my hands. "Leon, keep your head up!" Mr. Smith jokes walking out of his back office. "Sure thing!" I yawn. "Alright guys I'm tired, you're tired. So to be fair in a way. I've decided for class today, we will be watching a film." The class erupts into cheers and moves to sit by their friends in the class. "Yes, I didn't want another pop quiz." Mackenzie whispers. "Me too." I say laying my head onto Mack's shoulder. The classroom lights turn off, and I close my eyes. 

I'm dreaming again. But Emerson and Aspen aren't in it. It's dark and foggy. I'm in some sort of forest alone. And this time I can actually see me in the dream. But I'm not actually alone. They're getting closer, I can hear what they're saying. "Take her, she's the special one. We need her."  They're getting closer I scream in hope that they'll go away. Opening my eyes and everyone in class is staring at me. "Um, I'm sorry..." My body shaking while I rub my head. "Harlyn, you don't look so good. Let's get you to the nurse." Mitchell and Mack help me up.

"I don't understand, she was fine when she left this morning. How does she have a fever?" Mom asks the nurse. "Mrs. Leon, these things come around all the time. Once one gets sick it passes to another. Harlyn just happened to be the one to catch it next. She'll be better in a few days after some rest." Nurse Kelly replies with a warm smile. "Thanks nurse Kelly." I sniffle. "Sure thing, hope you feel better Harlyn." We walk out to my moms car. She's only brushed half of her hair. And she's just got out of the shower. "We'll have Jake drive your car back to the house." She says starting up the car. "Thanks mom, I'm sorry this happened." "Hey, it's not your fault. It's just odd because you haven't had a fever in years." She looks at me as if I have an answer why. "I know, I don't understand it either." I look out the window. "Well let's get you better so you can get back to school, we don't want you to get on senior conduct." She grabs my hand squeezing it a little. Jake honks the horn of my car . "I brought him with me if you were wondering how he got here." She laughs. I smile waving to my idiotic brother. He drives off in my  red Volkswagen beetle. We get home within five minutes due to us living only a few blocks away. "Can't believe you're still driving this thing." Jake says tossing me my car keys. "Hey this beauty is my style." He raises his eyebrows walking in the house I roll my eyes and follow him inside.

Feeling like absolute crap I change from my jeans to a pair of sweats. I don't think I want to sleep now. Since that nightmare I've had a fever. It could get worse if I fall asleep now or it could get better, either way I don't want to sleep. I walk around my room and pick up Emerson's letter. "Read this."  How do I read the book if I there isn't any writing? "National Treasure." I whisper. "What?" Mom asks looking awfully confused. "In National Treasure they use Lemon juice and heat to discover writing on the back of a map right?" I look at her for an answer. "Yeah?" She laughs walking away. I run downstairs to the pantry and grab the lemon juice. The small yellow bottle with the green lid, may help me find some answers with what is going on. Or it may not. I walk back up to my room. Looking in my craft drawer for a paint brush of some sort. I find a small brush that has been slightly used. I hope this works. I pour some lemon juice into a small cup and dip the paint brush into the juice, and then brush over the first page of the book then blow on it with my hair dryer. And start seeeing the title of the book slowly appear, Becoming Fae.