Chapter Nine

"What do you mean my uncle?" Harlyn's eyes narrow at me. "Sit down Haryln, let me explain, please." I look at her hoping she will take the chance to listen to what I have to say. "Okay." She says, sitting on a cushioned chair. "I'm your dad's brother. He's older, I'm younger." I start. "That would explain how your mother knows me. It's complicated because before your father fell in love with her, I did. As she was seeing me she was seeing your dad. She became pregnant with twins, you and a sister. Unfortunately the other child, your sister passed away after birth. But we don't know is if you are mine or Michael's." "What?" She whispers in disbelief. "How is that even possible? Do I have two dads? I don't even know what to think anymore Keaton. What am I supposed to call you?!" She yells in frustration. " I don't even know what to say Harlyn. I can barely understand the concept myself." I head over to her to try to comfort her, she puts her hand out gesturing me to stop. "I just can't deal with this right now." She whispers leaving the room.

'" Come on Keaton hurry up, we'll be late for the film!" Jamie's sweet voice brings music to my ears. "I'm coming, I'm coming." I say following behind her. "Shh it's starting." A random stranger points out. I can't focus on the film because I'm focusing on her. Her hair, her eyes, just her. She turns her head. "What?" She whispers. "You're just so beautiful." I lean in whispering in her ear. Even without the lights on I can see her cheeks lightening. I cup her cheek and kiss her softly. And this is where it all started, I don't even remember the movie, just her.'

I should know. But I don't. Jamie believes they're Michael's, but what if they're mine? What if they're a mix of us both? No one can really determine that. Not at this moment. Michael is nowhere to be seen and Jamie is at her home safe. I don't even know if Jamie has ever considered Harlyn and the other child being mine. I know it is a possibility, but does she?

'"Keaton! This is my mother Janice, and my father Maurice." Jamie's sweet voice introduces us. "Hello Mr. and Mrs. Smith." Holding out my hand for Mr. Smith to shake. He gladly takes it and give it a firm shake. "These are for you." I hand Mrs. Smith a bouquet of flowers. "Daisies! My favorite, thank you Keaton. Come on in." She opens the door gesturing me inside their home. "Jamie has told us a good deal of things about you, you must make her very happy." Mr. Smith says. "Well, I'd like to hope so." I glance and Jamie who is smile at me. "I'm so glad we finally have got to meet, Keaton our daughter won't stop talking about you!" Mrs. Smith adds. "Mom!" Jamie whisper shouts, trying to hide her blush.

"Thank you for coming Keaton, my parents really like you." Jamie stands on her tippy toes kissing my nose. "It was my pleasure. I told you I have no problem meeting your family." I take her hand pulling her close to me as I lean onto my car door. Her hands on my chest and my hands on her hips. "Thank you." She whispers. I kiss her passionately. Gasping for air when we can't breath. "I love you." I whisper. "Keaton, I love you too."'

My heart aches everyday that passes by when I can't see her face near mine. She is the love of my life, I haven't moved on since. It hurt just to see her when I picked up Harlyn on that day. Now everything has changed. I can see how Harlyn is like me and my brother. She's straightforward like me. A fighter like my brother. How would I know how her sister would be? I'd imagine they'd be close. But one would be more shy, obviously not Harlyn. Would they look alike? Or would the other look more like me? Guess We'll never know.

' "Oh so this is you girl eh?" Michael's blue eyes look towards Jamie. "I'm Michael." Giving her a charming smile then he reaches his hand out for her to shake. "Nice to meet you." She says shyly. Looking at him the way she'd look at me. I knew this would happen. "Michael you should go now." I start. "No let him stay." Jamie interrupts. "Um okay." I cough out. Michael looks at me with a grin. And within that moment I knew I lost her. To him.'

"Keaton?" Emerson walks into the room. "Yes?" I glance at him. "Harlyn is still freaking out but I calmed her down a bit. She's still furious to the situation though." He says sitting next to me on my bed. "I shouldn't have told her. She deserves better than a man like me." My voice cracks a little. "Keaton, You're here, Michael isn't remember that. Be the better dad in this situation and fight to make Harlyn happier other than confused." "You're right, should I go now or is it too soon?" Emerson points to the door, now.

I run up to the cottage door. Contemplating on going in or not. Aspen opens the door, "Come in." She says. Giving me no say in whether to turn around and avoid this situation or not. I walk to her bedroom door. I knock lightly. "Go away!" She sobs. "Harlyn, I know I'm not who you want to see, but I'm here. I want you to grow stronger and for us to get closer together, we are family and I care for you. Though you don't realize it because I'm mean." I say, hearing her laugh on the other side. I hear her footsteps, she slowly opens the door. "You're right you are mean. But since you may be my dad. I need to cherish the time I have with you." She says. We hug for the first time. Feeling the warm embrace with my maybe daughter is wonderful. I squeeze her tight and kiss the top of her head.

"I wonder why mom never told us about you." Harlyn says putting a piece of popcorn in her mouth. "She ended things with me, broke my heart and left me for Michael." I explain. "I suppose she didn't want you guys to know her first love." Harlyn's face shows confusion. "It's weird, I think mom lied to me about the first time her and Michael met. She said they met and talked for hours until 5am. Was that when he came into the picture?" I look at her. "Jamie went home after that, Michael must've followed." "And then Jake would've been in the picture then. "You ran into my mom again? And possibly developed me and my sister?" "That's the story, not exactly proud of it. I mean not only did I possibly develop you and your sister but Michael would have to." I add. "Crazy." Harlyn mutters.

Me and Harlyn had a nice long chat for a good five hours. She's still confused, as am I. But I understand where her confusion is coming from. I need a way to contact my brother and I think I found one.