Chapter one -the journal with the six fingered hand

Three days before
June 1st, 2016
Gideon Pines tripped and jammed his shoulder into a tree. There was an echo-y sound or hallow metal. Gideon hissed through his teeth and poked the odd tree. A door kind of thing opened and there was a bunch of dippledoddle-y things (as old man McGugget would shout at the top of his lungs). He switched them repeatedly and the ground a few feet away opened to reveal a dusty old space. There was an old red journal, a gold six fingered hand on the worn cover, and a 3 on the palm of the hand. "Oh gosh," Gideon sighed blowing at the dust and coughed. The boy slipped the journal into his navy blue vest and stood from the ground.

Mabel held the red and torn journal to her thin form, her black flats shining in the early summertime sunlight. She was smiling, for her finding was just like what her twin had found the day before. Her amulet glowed and a rock floated from the ground as she passed Gideon.

"Miss! Excuse-" Gideon stopped as Mabel stopped running and faced the twelve year old boy.

"You're a Pines boy," Mabel whispered, stepping closer. Her eyes glowed brighter and the rock rose higher from the ground.

Gideon gulped and nodded. "Uh...y-yeah. I-I am a P-Pines boy. I-" Mabel interrupted him.

"Interesting." Mabel's voice was genuine, for she knew of the Mystery Shack; it was their biggest rival, after all. "Y'know, I believe the Mystery Shack is great."

"That's, uh, k-kind of y-you." Gideon blushed at the intensity of her gaze.

"Have you ever been to the Tent of Telepathy?" Mabel asked. She blinked and gripped the worn journal tighter against her chest.

"Uh, n-no. Bud, uh, won't let m-me until P-Pacifica, uh, gets h-here."

"Well, when she does get here, y'all come on down," Mabel said, winking. "I'm Mabel Gleeful." She put her pale hand out. There was black writing all over it, random words Gideon never saw anywhere: Gobblewonker, Wonkerblob, and so many more.

"Gideon P-Pines," Gideon said, shaking Mabel's outstretched hand.

"Nice to actually meet you, Mr. Pines," Mabel whispered and bowed lowly before putting her hand out. The rock that was in the air for the entire conversation landed in her hand. "See you at the Tent."

"How would you get to the Mystery Shack from here?"

"Who would know, but you?" Mabel asked.

Morning of June 3rd.
Gideon shot from slumber, a sheen of sweat on his forehead. "Cuz? You okay?" Pacifica asked, worry floating from her in waves.

"Uh...y-yeah, Pacifica." Gideon looked out the triangular window, worried for the evening. He promised, in a way, to go that day. Pacifica arrived the night before and it was already too late to sneak away to the Tent of Telepathy. "How would you like to go to a tourist trap?"

"Cool," Pacifica said and she smiled. "Which one?"

"The Tent of Telepathy."