epilogue

THIRD PERSON POV

"You're finally getting discharged, Indie," Donna cooed by her bed, interlocking their fingers and watching the fragile girl with great concern.

Indie didn't even hum a response of great gratitude.

"The last six months have been awfully long, I'm so glad you're okay," Donna began whispering, her voice shaky from the tears that began to form in her eyes.

Indie weakly tightened her grip of her left hand that held Donna's and felt a tear dry up in her eye when she couldn't shed it.

Donna was more down than when she got dumped four times in one week.

Indie had been in the hospital for six months with broken ribs, right arm and left leg. She couldn't have cried more about her devastating state.

Indie was finally discharged now, already have learned how to get back on her feet a again a few weeks ago.

But what was worse for Donna was that she got herself so hurt that she decided not to speak ever since she had woken up.

Donna took her home as soon as the doctors allowed it.

Indie didn't even look at her ever since she woke up.

She had missed the most of the second and third semester, so it was made obvious that she'd have to repeat the school year.

She didn't care.

She knew people would say things like she wasn't smart enough to be promoted to the next year.

She didn't care that she had to repeat a whole year again.

She didn't mind rereading the Great Gatsby or Of Mice and Men. She grew fond of them somehow anyways.

She didn't mind attending another whole year of Mr. Price's classes.

She didn't mind that all her friends were going to be seniors while she's stuck being a junior for an extra year.

By the time she left the hospital, all her classmates had finished up their finals and the previous seniors were already scavenging for part-time jobs to increase their experience skills.

Indie was home alone now.

Donna was seeing her friends tonight since she hasn't made much of an effort in existing in the past five
months.

Indie was silent in the living room with the TV off. She thought she heard knocking but it was only the cold breezes that were pounding on the window.

Her heart was racing as well as her mind. The house phone kept ringing every now and then. People asking for rental payments or her condition.

She never picked the phone up.

She was cold that night because it was the first weekend that she was spending alone again ever since she met Michael.

Just thinking about him made her heartache.

Donna offered to tell her what state he was in but Indie kept shaking her head, pretending like she didn't want to know.

But she actually did.

She couldn't help but wonder if he was okay...

-

Indie wanted to cry when she stepped out of the elevator.

Donna mentioned that Michael was still at the hospital, using this floor along with other patients with his conditions. Indie never asked what condition he was in, so it never crossed her mind that he would be taking rehabilitation tests on this floor.