I - the start

I looked out through the window right next to me. English bored me so I didn't bother much on listening to Mr. Price and what he had to say.

We finished the work for the day and I was just waiting for him to give us our homework and leave.

My English class was on the second floor, so I almost had a hawkeye view of the parking lot. The street in front of the school was empty, because nobody ever drives down that street unless other roads were closed. And if you actually went to this school.

I was surprised to see a car actually drive down the road and into the school parking lot.

But I wasn't surprised to find Michael Clifford walk out of his Nissan Patrol.

His dark hair peaked out from behind the car door and he slammed it shut. He ruffled his hair up a bit and readjusted the sunglasses on the tip of his nose before he shoved his hands into the pockets of his jacket and walked into the school.

Typical Clifford. He forgot to lock his car. It was only Monday and he was already late to second period.

"Alright class, pass down these books to the person behind you." Mr. Price instructed as he handed a set of books to the students at the front.

When I received my book, I shoved it into my backpack, not bothering to check it out until I was home.

I passed the rest back and sat there. Patiently waiting for the bell to ring. There was still about ten minutes left, so Mr. Price took it up as a chance to explain our homework for the night.

Blah, blah... read chapter one.
Blah, blah... this assignment depends on your career.
Blah, blah... take it seriously.

Like I didn't know any of this since freshmen year.

I was now in my junior year, and I've always had Mr. Price.

He didn't exactly love me, just happy that he had a familiar face in his class.

I guess I could've almost said the same about Michael.

"Ah, Mr. Clifford. So nice of you to join us." Mr. Price said sarcastically.

Michael nodded in his direction and walked to his seat at the far corner at the back of the class.

Basically in the complete opposite side of where I sat.

"This is your homework. Do it." Mr. Price said sternly as he placed a copy of the book on his table.

Michael nodded with no objection.

"Take those off, Clifford." Mr. Price said in a bored tone, referring to his shades, and walked back to his desk to take a seat.

But Michael didn't hear him, he was too absorbed in the book on his desk. I could tell by the way his lips twisted into a smirk.

I looked back out through the window, like the world was more interesting than everything else in this room. Which was mostly true.

"Ms. Storm," Mr. Price sighed, making me look away from the window and look at him. "Have you been listening?" He crossed his arms over his chest.

I shook my head, not seeing why I should lie.

"Please pay attention." He said.

I nodded, and shoved my hands into my jacket, playing around with the pen in it.

He started speaking again, about how this is the book that got him a job here at this school.

Students asked question about it, like what should we prepare for while reading it.