XXII - snapbacks

I'd normally spend my Wednesdays with my aunt and watch her rant about all the imperfections of life, but I think I'd rather see Michael today. Or any day.

Fire escapes were never my thing so I just used the front door like a normal person would. But to my luck, Anuba answered the door this time. Again.

"Oh, India. So nice to see you again." She smiled widely, revealing her pearly, white teeth and needle pinned dimples.

"Same to you." I nodded as she took a step aside to let me in.

"Michael is in the kitchen." She pointed to a doorless room halfway through the hallway.

I mumbled a thank you as she led me over to the room, standing right in the middle of the doorway, preventing me from entering.

"Michael! India's here!" She sang.

I peeked over her tall frame and saw Michael using his phone before looking up at us. He was sitting at the island, facing the door.

He mumbled something incoherent under his breath.

"Michael? Aren't you gonna say something?" Anuba pressed, realizing that he wasn't doing anything about my presence.

Michael set his phone down on the island and cracked his fingers as he spoke, "Welcome to Casa Del Cox. Don't touch the paintings, the fridge is off limits unless told to touch, the furniture is daily vacuumed so be careful, the toilet is not allowed to smell like poop after taking a dump, wash your hands after doing anything in this house, don't pet Clive, he hates physical touch with strangers, mobile devices are only allowed to be used under adult supervision and everything else that seems intriguing to your eyes, don't even think about it."

Michael said all of that with one breath and a straight face. Part of me actually took his rules seriously, but the look Anuba was giving me told me that these rules were not to be messed with.

"Michael, you're exaggerating." Anuba sighed, finally realizing all the things he just said.

"I'm just telling her what you tell me." Michael put his hands up to surrender. "Everyday. Ever since I got here. And most likely for the rest of my life." Michael shrugged.

Anuba let out a scoff before walking out of the kitchen.

Michael smiled, seeming proud with what just happened. He nodded over to the empty stool next to him. I slowly walked over to him and took a seat.

"Why are you so far away? I'm not gonna bite you." He giggled. Michael stretched his hands over to reach under my stool, pulling it closer to him along with me. There was no more gap between us as Michael pulled my stool until it bumped with his.

I watched him smile at me and pick up his phone off the island.

"Switch that phone off, you have a guest, Michael!" Anuba yelled from somewhere in the apartment, like she just felt him hold the phone.

I cocked an eyebrow at him in astonishment as he dropped the phone back onto the counter and turned on his stool, giving me his full attention.

"I swear, that woman can sense anything." Michael grumbled.

"I guess she just knows you too well." I laughed a little.

Michael smiled down at his lap, where he laced his fingers together.

I reached up and grabbed one of his hands, making him unlock his own fingers and intertwine with mine.

Michael looked up slowly. I just took notice that he had his lilac hair tucked under a snapback. He was wearing it backwards and kept readjusting it on his head a lot.