Chapter 9: Secrets, Lies, and Waffles [Part 1]

*Macey's POV*

"Macey!"

I looked away from my locker and saw Dylan running down the hall. Her curly hair was flying behind her and she had a huge smile plastered onto her face.

"Hey, Dyl." I chirped once she was closer.

"You ready to go?" She asked while leaning against the lockers.

I shoved the rest of my binders inside of my locker. "What do you mean?"

"You didn't forget, did you?" Dylan sneered. She looked around the hall before leaning closer like she was about to gossip a deep dark secret. "We have that thing.. After school.."

Everything seemed to click. Dylan had her duffel bag today. I slapped a hand to my mouth with a loud gasp. It's been a week and it's time to go back. More importantly, the girls are the only ones who know. "Oh, crap! I forgot to tell–"

"Hey girls," A pair of strong arms wrapped around my waist. I looked over my shoulder at a smiling Adrian. Brandon and Chase were behind him wearing similar smirks. "Driving you home today, right?" Adrian asked. I turned my head back to Dylan who had her mouth slightly parted. I shook my head a little. Adrian doesn't know where we're going and I don't plan on telling him. I couldn't tell anyone else. Not after what happened a few years ago.

"Actually.." I walked over to Dylan's side to face the three boys with my best fake smile. Adrian can read me so easily; hopefully I can hoax him this once. "I have to go somewhere with the girls."

As if on cue, Amber came running down the hallway yelling our names. "Dylan! Macey! Hurry up, Brynn's waiting!" Once Amber was by our side, she bent over to catch her breathe but sadly continued to talk. "I brought my stuff for later. Did you guys bring your–" Amber abruptly stopped as she stared at the floor. I followed her gaze to the guys' shoes that were standing right in front of us. Amber slowly straightened herself to look at the guys.

"Oh.. Hi guys." Amber greeted them in a timid voice.

Adrian folded his arms across his chest with a raised eyebrow. Chase came to his side doing the same. "Where you girls off to?" Chase quizzed.

Brandon stepped forward and looked at the three of us.

Crap.

"Uh.." I glanced over at the girls. We all looked like a dear caught in headlights. An excuse finally popped in my head a second later. Much to my dismay, so did Dylan and Amber since we all blurted out our lies at the same time.

"Work on a project."

"Library."

"Waffle house!"

Dylan and I snapped our head in Amber's direction.

Waffle house? What?!

Amber Olsen everybody. Leave it to her to hand us over right handed. Amber's face blushed deeply as she said 'Sorry' with her eyes.

"Well, which is it?" Brandon asked in a teasing voice. Chase was smiling like he broke us and Adrian was drumming his fingers against his forearm with a smirk. Amber looked at Dylan, who looked at me; causing the guys to do the same. I took a deep breathe and refrained from biting my lip. I wasn't bad at lying but Adrian could read me like an open book. Biting my lip was a habit of mine when I was nervous. Looping my arms with Amber and Dylan, I gave them the best poker face I could muster.

"We are going to the library to work on a project and then heading to the Waffle house downtown." I told them in a calm voice. I shifted my weight to one foot and flashed them a smile. Amber's arm tensed but I focused on the guys; not breaking eye contact. Dylan seemed to be taking this seemingly well. She kept her gaze leveled on the guys with a blank expression.