Chapter 6

-

Dan suggests a movie because he wants to distract himself from Phil. However, that isn't working. Instead of distracting himself from Phil with the movie, he's just distracting himself from the movie with Phil.

He's sitting as far from Phil as he possibly can. He knows that he's probably staring too often, but he's not sure if Phil realizes it. If he does, he doesn't acknowledge it. Instead, he just keeps watching the movie. He does look over at Dan once, and Dan immediately blushes and looks away, but Phil just grins. A genuine grin too, not just his stupid smirk.

Dan wonders if Phil really has changed. Maybe this really is a different side to him. Maybe Philip Michael Lester isn't what everyone thinks him to be. Was that possible? Was Dan being ridiculous?

He remembers Pj's warnings. Pj usually is right, but most of the time, so is Dan. That's Dan's thing, he's always right. So now, he was either being completely logical or not at all.

"You alright?" Phil asks at one point, breaking Dan from his thoughts. "You're barely watching."

"Yeah, I'm alright. Don't you think we should be working on the project?" Dan asks. They haven't bothered doing anything with that in the last two hours. Dan doesn't even want to work, but he wants something to stop himself from wondering if it's logical to be falling for Phil.

Phil nearly laughs. "We don't have to work the entire time. I promise we can still get an A. Lighten up, Daniel."

Lighten up. It seemed Phil couldn't go a day without telling him to lighten up, but it seemed different now. It wasn't followed by 'pretty boy' or 'baby boy.' It sounded like something a friend would tell him, and he would have accepted those words from a friend.

But would that make Phil his friend?

He decides that was ridiculous. Phil doesn't make friends with people like Dan. He barely even made friends. Usually, he just talked with whoever until he was able to fuck him, and them moved on. He got what he wanted, and didn't bother ever talking to them again.

It occurs to Dan that that's probably what's going to happen to him. Phil's could fuck him, win the bet, and never bother speaking to Dan ever again.

Dan doesn't know why the thought is bringing him down so much.

Phil gets up and turns off the movie, obviously realizing Dan doesn't really care about that that much. "Let's do something else."

"There's nothing else to do," Dan mumbles.

"You have pretty eyes," Phil points out randomly. It seems he can't hold a conversation for more than a minute, apparently.

"Thanks," Dan mumbles, smiling a bit.

It's not that the comment itself bothers him. He wouldn't mind being told that by nearly anyone else. It's the fact that it's Phil. Phil, who doesn't really bother saying nice things to people unless he ends up getting something out of it. And it doesn't seem like something Phil Lester would say to anyone. It was something a cheesy couple in a movie would say, not a boy who just wants sex.

"You have a cute smile too. I like your dimples," Phil continues. "You're just really pretty overall."

Dan's trying not to blush, but it's not working.

"Why are you telling me this?" Dan asks.

"Because you are pretty," Phil shrugs coolly. "What else do you want me to say? Cute? Hot? I think you're those too, if you're wondering."