Chapter 15

a/n: 20k views i am proud thnks

-

Phil leaves and goes home about five thousand make-out sessions later, and that's not a good thing for Dan. If it's just him and his parents he has some explaining to do.

It's hard to explain it, because he doesn't want to talk about Phil. It isn't like Phil and him are dating. Dan's not quite sure what he and Phil have, but he tries to avoid thinking about it. They're not boyfriends, and that's probably what his mom thinks.

"Hello, Daniel."

For whatever reason, Dan can't even bother replying to that.

"Did your boyfriend leave?" she asks, ands he's smiling, but that's only because she doesn't know. Dan takes it like a slap in the face.

"Mum, he isn't my boyfriend."

Dan's father hasn't been paying much attention, but suddenly looks up from the TV. Dan doesn't like this attention. She raises an eyebrow. "Hm?"

"I know, I know. You saw us on the bed, uh, kissing."

"Do I need to have that talk with you?" she asks.

"No! No, I know all that. Please don't have that talk with me," Dan begs. "We're not dating."

"Are you just friends? What's going on?" she asks. "I'm sorry if I haven't been able to talk to you much recently, but I'd like to know if my son has a boyfriend. I'm not mad, you just never told us."

"I know," Dan mumbles. "I don't really know what's going on between me and Phil either," he admits.

"Did you guys do anything too far?" It's the first time his father bothers participating in this conversation and Dan isn't sure how to answer.

"Dad!" Dan feels himself turn red. "Do, we didn't."

Though a hand job and blowjob probably classified as 'anything too far,' Dan doesn't say so. At least they didn't have real sex.

"Just be safe and careful, Daniel," she smiles. Dan likes his mum for some reasons, and the fact that she isn't that strict probably helps. She's young enough to understand him, and he figures that's why she's never really cared much.

"You both seemed into it," she says.

"Maybe," Dan mumbles. At the same time, the fact that she's fine with these things means that she talks to him about it. Sometimes it's strange for Dan, because even if he knows she wouldn't care, he doesn't want to tell his own mother about some fuckboy from school.

She kisses him on the forehead once and Dan laughs before heading back upstairs.

-

Sunday passes, and Dan only sees Phil once. It's when he's going out to take garbage, and he happens to see Phil leaning on the front porch of his house, across the street. He has a cigarette between his lips, and to Dan it looks like something straight out of a photography book. It takes Phil a moment to notice Dan but he takes the cigarette out of his mouth to blow a puff of smoke and grins at Dan. Dan can't help but smile back.

He half hopes Phil would come over and talk to him, but he doesn't. Still, he's only got a day till Phil's going to be in class with him again.

That's still a problem, he realizes. He's so afraid of what Phil could tell everyone else. Dan was digging himself deeper into a hole every time he kissed him. He never really cared about his social status, but if Phil said a word, Dan was dead. No one would live it down if they found out Dan Howell, probably the brightest kid in his grade, had let himself fall for Phil Lester. He had even told Phil, which he'd been regretting a thousand times since he'd done so.