Summer Hangover

Tommorow, summer vacation ends and I'll be going back to Blackwell. My summer was awesome: Chloe and I went camping, and Kate asked me to go on a trip to Europe.
Chloe.

Maybe it's just a phase, but...
Really, Maxine? Could you be any more stereotypical?
Okay, I'll be straight forward. I feel something for Chloe, I always have- something more than friendship. But I don't know if she likes me the same way. She flirts with me but I guess she's just joking because she does it with everyone.
Somehow, it feels different when it's with me. There always seems to be something there in her words, her chemistry, that makes it feel sincere. Like she's repressing emotions.

I don't know what is happening to me lately, but whenever I'm with her I start getting nervous, and I enjoy her hugs way more than I used to.
I shake my head to take my mind off of Chloe.

The first day of school always sucks.
I wonder what Warren's been up to, or maybe I shouldn't ask. He's always had a crush on me, but now it's getting creepy. I thought I made it pretty clear I'm into girls, but I guess he just doesn't get it.
It hasn't always been like that. He used to be so cool. For a nerd.
We used to hang out a lot, but now things are different. He's always trying to win me over. It's awkward.
Ugh, another friend I don't want to think about. How am I supposed to face all of them tommorow?
I'm too tired to over think it tonight.

My alarm goes off and I scream in my pillow.
"Nooooooooooooooooo. I'm SO not ready for this."

I nearly break my alarm by hitting it too hard, but I literally am not able to give a fuck this early.
My mom enters the room with a demonic screech. Worse than the alarm clock.
"Maaaaaaax, time to wake up!"
Seriously, woman?
"Thanks mom, now I'm deaf."
She just chuckles and leaves my room with a notice: breakfast is ready.
How can you be so happy in the morning, are you Satan?

She left the door open.
I get out of bed and slam my door shut.
Time to get dressed, I guess. I just grab some random clothes from my closet and throw whatever I don't want to wear in the corner of my room.

I have to pack my stuff tonight anyways, because I'm moving into Blackwell's dorms.
My parents are moving to Seattle, but they said I could just stay here.
It's the same job offer my dad got 5 years ago, but he declined because he didn't want to rip me away from my friends. Mostly Chloe. No, it's too early to think about her.

Ugh, but she's picking me up though, goddamn it. She always drives me to school.
Maybe I could walk to school. Nah, I'm being ridiculous- she's my best friend I can't avoid her. Once again I have to shake my head to get rid of these thaughts.

I put on my jane doe shirt and grey hoodie, together with a simple pair of blue jeans and sneakers.
Running downstairs, I see my parents with their luggage. Huh? Thought they weren't leaving til the end of the week.
"I thought you were going Saturday?" My parents turn around and look upset.
"We were, but they need your father there early, so we have to leave sooner. We're sorry, Max."

My parents hug me.
Well I was hoping to have them here for another week, but it's okay I guess.
We eat breakfast together for the last time until god knows when.
Dad tells me they're leaving at noon, so I won't be seeing them tonight. They give me the keys so I can lock up when I have moved all my stuff to Blackwell, and that there will be a truck coming tomorrow to haul all of the furniture.
I need to make sure it's unlocked when they get there.

Jeez. All this stress on the first day already.
"Good luck Maxine..."
"Max, never Maxine."
"Yeah, yeah, you are still our little girl, we'll miss you."
My dad puts his hand on my shoulder and pulls me in for a hug, and mom joins us.
"I'm going to miss you guys too."

Chloe pulls up and honks.
"Well, that's my sign. I'll call you tonight."
We say our goodbyes and I run outside.

"Ready to rock, Mad Max?"
Chloe's got that same devilish grin.
God, I didn't realize how much I missed her voice.
"Not at all. What's got you so happy?"
I take a seat in the rusty pickup truck.
"Rachel's back!"

Yep, that hurt. Rachel Amber, better known as Chloe's angel. I don't hate her or anything, I guess I'm just... jealous, of her. The way Chloe looks at her. I wish she looked at me like that. Maybe she does, I don't know.
But yeah, ever since Chloe started hanging with Rachel, she changed.
She's going through that whole punk phase now. Blue hair, ripped jeans.

I'm not going to lie. She looks really hot.
Fuck, I need to stop. I'm only going to feel bad if I keep thinking like this.

"Hey, earth to Max!" Chloe waves her hand in front of my eyes and I snap out of it.
Shit, was I staring? No. Yes.
"Sorry, I zoned out."
"No problem. Not really feeling it, huh?"
"Nope, especially with mom and dad leaving today."
She gives me a comforting look and pats me on my shoulder.
"I'll visit you at your dorm every night so we can watch movies and shit."
That puts a smile on my face. She always knows what to say.
"I would love that. Can you help me tonight with moving, too?"
"Sure, anything for my Maxi-pad."
"Aaaand you ruined it."
We both chuckle and enjoy our last moments of freedom before being locked up in a classroom again.
Summer is officially over.