Chapter 28: Here Comes A Reckoning

-9-

"I'm not drinking that,"Jaime said. "That's the same shit you gave to Bob when you cut his liver out."

Jesus had produced a whole box of seemingly random items including a collection of candles, some animal skulls that looked very old, a box of salt and of course his old favourite a bottle of the blueish coloured balche. Jesus looked to me for a rescue.

"Is she always this stubborn?"

I checked the time on my phone and glanced outside at the still dark sky. Time was running out.

"Yeah, it's part of her charm. How long is this going to take?"

"Just about twenty minutes to at least start the process. After that it's out of my hands, but according to my notes just under a week. Roughly." He turned back to Jaime and offered the bottle of balche again. "It's just a narcotic. A very powerful one. But with you vampires, powerful is the only thing that works. It's either this or drinking blood to get you stoned. Stoned equals relaxed and open to suggestion and I need you relaxed."

Jaime tried to look relaxed and failed. Jesus smirked. "Has anyone every told you how tense you are?"

"I'll make sure nothing happens to you, okay?" I volunteered and Jaime just rolled her eyes at me.

"How do you plan to do that when you can't even resist his mind control?"

"She does have a point Bob. One suggestion from me and you'll be out killing kittens. Please don't kill any kittens."

I paused, my hand raised towards the door. Whoa, when had I turned to exit?

"See? I can't help myself. But you Jaime... how are you able to resist me when very few can? It is beginning to bother me."

Jaime looked like she was going to keep holding out just to torture Jesus, but then she shrugged and shook her head.

"I honestly don't have a clue. I'm new to being a vampire and Bob hasn't explained everything, so I really have no idea what my limitations are. But that's not going to matter anyway because you're going to fix me, right?"

Jesus grinned wickedly. "Not if you don't drink the balche."

Jaime growled and snatched the bottle. "Okay, fine. Now you wanna walk me through this?"

Jesus turned to me as he lit a couple of the candles.

"Well I'm going to be doing something that looks a lot like magic, mainly because that's what it is, but I'm going to need some blood from Bob..."

"Sure. What do you need my blood for?"

"Well you did turn her into a vampire, right?"

Uh oh. Stall... what could I do to stall? Fuck, they were looking at me expecting an answer and I didn't have any that didn't make me sound like a complete idiot.

"No..." I tried to draw out my reply as long as possible. "That was kind of... complicated."

"So you didn't use your own blood?"

"No, I had to call in some help. It was the first time I was trying to turn anyone and I kinda freaked out--"

Jaime was out of patience. She was practically pulling her hair out from the stress of dealing with my current fuck-up. So much for being the hero and getting her out of this jam. She was supposed to be thanking me by this point, not finding new swearwords to use on me