Outside The Lines {21}

“Are you sure about this, Theo?” Thalia asked as we walked into school.

                “Yes,” I said with a confident nod.

                “I don’t know Theo,” Oliver said with a sigh. We had filled him in on everything. “What if he didn’t show up to school today? I don’t see him.”

                “Kim texted me. They’re here,” Thalia said, shoving her phone back into her pocket.

                “Then let’s go,” I said, starting forward into the crowd of kids.

                Some kids glanced at me and broke out into excited whispers. I grit my teeth but kept moving forward, my eyes searching for Dimitri.

                Honestly, my gaze would have swept right over him if Kim hadn’t been standing with him. He still wasn’t looking like himself.

                His hair was fohawk free again, covering his ears just like yesterday. It was that light brown color that matched his skin and eyes so perfectly. It looked so soft and inviting, and I just wanted to tangle my hands in it.

                He was wearing faded jeans, ripped in one knee. He had on a tight-fitting grey V-neck T-shirt. His right arm was stacked with bracelets, and he was wearing a light blue scarf wrapped around his neck securely. He was wearing plain red Chucks.

                He just looked too normal. My heart ached and I almost turned around and rushed out of the school as I looked at him again.

                If he could just dress like that all the time…

                I shook that thought out of my head. No. That wasn’t Dimitri. And he had been right yesterday. If I loved him, I loved him for who he was. He wasn’t some normal dressing, soft spoken guy. He was wild and flamboyant. And that was the Dimitri I had fallen in love with.

                Thalia and Oliver were watching me carefully. I could see the shock on their faces from the sight of Dimitri. A few other kids around the hall were doing double-takes of him and whispering. It was the closest to normal he had ever looked.

                I gulped and took a calming breath. Then I marched forward, pushing my way through the crowd until I had reached Dimitri.

                He stared at me in surprise. “Theo. What are you doin-”

                I cupped his face in my hands and crashed my lips on his. I heard the gasps of the large crowd surrounding us, but ignored it. I kissed Dimitri passionately, letting my hands tangle in his soft brown hair.

                Dimitri placed his hand on my shoulder, gently pushing me away from him. His frosty eyes held a guarded look.

                “I love you,” I said, my voice clear and honest. “And I’m sorry about yesterday.”

                “I believe we should talk about this over there,” he said, a smirk on his face as he took my hand in his and led me through the crowd. But my stomach was clenching as I looked at him. That wasn’t his usual smirk. It was just a fake for the crowd of gossipy teenagers.

                He pulled me into an empty classroom and shut the door. He locked it and turned to me, the fake smirk dropping right off of his face.

                “I didn’t want to embarrass you in front of all those people,” he said, and I winced. He ignored it and continued speaking. “We’re not getting back together, Theo. So please stop.”