Persons

Maya's POV

Impossible.
It was simply impossible.

Josh was looking for a permanent job. Maya knew that he was smart and talented enough to get it. But could she really act all good and normal if he was actually going to be around for... for what? Forever? Maya knew that was a dangerous thing to believe in. Forever didn't even exist.

It was impossible for her to be fine when he was around. It wasn't the same thing that she could have possibly meant three years ago. It was a new feeling. Josh was just a walking, talking, moving memory of the pain she had been through. And she remembered it just fine without him.

She tried to focus on other things. Her interview went pretty good and she knew that Travis would help her. Riley had bought these gorgeous new shoes and she would let Maya borrow them. Zay had called them from Texas and they had talked for hours.

Despite all that, Josh was the only thing she could think of, lying on her bed, trying to sleep.

After a few hours she added "falling asleep" in her "impossible" list.

She went to her mother's ( and Shawn's ) bedroom. Her house wasn't nearly as big as Riley's and never so full. It was a pleasure, though, having Shawn with them.

She carefully waked Shawn up but she tried her best not to wake up her mother.

Shawn opened his eyes. When he was able to focus he frowned at Maya.

'What's wrong?', he mouthed.

Maya moved her head a little and left the room. As she expected, Shawn quietly followed.

They sat on the living room's couch and Shawn raised her eyebrows at her.

"How did you feel when Angela left?", she asked.

Shawn was obviously not expecting that. He frowned deeply.

"Why do you ask that?"

The poor guy was still sleeping.

Maya shrugged. She was asking because she wanted to test her reaction when Josh left with Shawn's.

"Just answer that. Please." ,she pleaded.

Shawn didn't want to talk about it. Maya got that. She never liked talking about Josh. She didn't want to recall the cold afternoon, or their last kiss. Shawn awkwardly looked away.

"I felt... Awful. Something was missing, I knew what it was but I couldn't do anything to change that." ,he made a small pause and continued, "Maya, these are old times. Why are you asking?"

Maya completely ignored his question.

"What if she came back?" ,she asked.

Shawn smiled sadly.

"I'd like to tell you that I would stay with your mom and you, that I would keep her in a friendly zone. But I'm no liar. I'm too much of a sucker when it comes to her. The truth is I don't know what I would do.", he paused again for a second before adding: "There are some persons, Maya, than no matter what they do they'll always drive us crazy. There some persons that we'd follow to the end of the world and back while they wouldn't move one metre for us."

Was Josh her person? Would she do anything for him? Would he do the same?

She still wasn't sure how to feel about him. They weren't friends, like she once had suggested and they certainly weren't something more.

He liked her and then he didn't, she liked him and then she didn't.

Headache.

"I'm just tired.", Maya said quietly.

To her surprise, Shawn wrapped his arm around her and let her head rest on his chest.

She was drifting to sleep when Shawn murmured:

"Your person's back right?"

Maya sighed.

"Yeah. My person is back."

And she fell asleep.

......

Riley raised her eyebrows.

"So tell me. What's so important that you woke me up at seven, freaking seven, o'clock in the morning". It was a demand.

Maya bit her lip. She hoped she was doing the right thing.

"I think Josh is my person."

Riley smirked. Or at least she tried to; she wasn't exactly the type of girl to smirk.

"Now way!", she said.

Was that sarcasm? Maya felt instantly proud. She was such a good bad influence.

"No! You don't get it, Riley! He is my person. You need to do something.", Maya tried to explain.

"Maya, I'm not going to kill my uncle!", Riley freaked.

Maya laughed. Either her best friend was going crazy or she was.

"I need to let him go, Riles!", she said, "Help me!"

Riley frowned.

"I thought you had already let him go."

"No!", how could Riley not see it? "I don't like him. I just don't, anymore. But I want to... You know, don't care when he's in the room."

Riley smiled. She had finally got it.

"Oooh! NOW I got it. But are you sure you want to let him go?", she asked.

"Positive", Maya replied.

Riley smiled wider. Maya frowned deeply.

"You're going to do exactly what I say.", she said.

"What are you thinking?",Maya asked.

"You need to go on a date with another boy."

Before a few days that would be easy. Lucas and she used to go on dates every day. They weren't very successful but they were dates. Now though. Who could she possibly date?

She stared at the wall like an idiot and then it hit her. Hard.

"I am NOT going out with Travis!" ,she yelled.

"Why not?!"

Why not?

That was a good question. Travis was a good guy. He was a student in her college, even though they didn't have many classes together. He sort of liked her and she sort of liked it.

She sighed.

"You know, maybe this isn't such a bad idea.", she said.

Then she told her friend that she was going to the bathroom. Maya left Riley there, smiling at the door, wondering when will her 'sister' understand that persons like Josh are not easy to let go of.