She's Back

Josh's POV

Josh knew who they were the moment they walked it.

Rachel and Angela. Angela and Rachel. He had heard too many stories.

Eric beside him, stiffened and Shawn dragged his chair backwards. Everything seemed to pass in slow motion until Angela laughed quietly and said:

"Minkus."

Then Eric got up. He walked over and hugged Angela and Rachel. It was awkward but at least he did something. To help him Topanga got up too and walked towards the two women.

"Rachel, Angela... Long time no talk.", she said.

"Topanga!", Angela replied, "I missed you!"

The two women hugged each other. Those two used to be best friends. When they pulled back Angela turned to look at Shawn.

"Shawn.", she said with a steady voice.

Shawn was speechless. He was still sitting on his chair. When Angela said his name, his eyes drifted to hers and back to the table. He cleared his voice and looked up at her once more.

"Angela.", he said, but his voice didn't come out nearly as strong as hers.

Josh noticed Katy looking at the floor. He felt bad for her. She and Shawn had been something more than friends since... Well, Josh couldn't really put his fingers on when they started dating but he clearly remembered that three years ago they spent Christmas alone in Paris.
He looked at Maya. Her face was easy to read. She was confused, but as she realized who the dark skinned lady was she looked more and more hurt.

Cory got up and greeted the girls. Someone found two chairs for them to sit.
Rachel ended up between Cory and Eric, while Angela ended up between Topanga and Shawn. Cory quickly introduced the two women to everyone. Angela laughed again when she realized she was right about Farkle. He was a Minkus.

They all talked fastly, asking about the last years. The tension slowly dissapeared. Eric was talking with Rachel. Shawn had his attention drawn to Katy, his back half turned to Angela, who was talking with Topanga. Still, both Shawn and Angela looked stiff and awkward. No matter how hard they tried they couldn't ignore each other's existence.

Josh turned to face Maya. She was talking with Riley quietly. He waited patiently for them to stop talking and when they did and Riley turned to Lucas, he tapped Maya's shoulder. She turned.

"Everything okay?", he asked.

Maya shrugged glancing at Katy's direction.

She was talking with Shawn but her eyes often drifted on Angela.

"You're worried about them, huh?", Josh asked, looking at them.

"Yes.", Maya replied, "I just need someone to tell it's going to be okay."

Josh pressed his lips into a line. His eyes went back and forth between Shawn and Angela.

He desperately wanted to be what Maya needed. But he was no liar. She had things to worry about. Shawn and Angela weren't just a teenage couple. Things between them were always complicated but everybody knew that they liked each other back then. This kind of connection doesn't go away. That's why they didn't remain friends when she left. It was all in or nothing.

Maya frowned.

"Hey, Josh, are you listening?", she asked.

"I am.", Josh nodded.

"Aren't you going to tell me that everything's going to be okay?"

Josh stiffened.

"No."