Midnight Surprises

Josh's POV

Josh sat on the corner of his bed exhausted. Kathrin sat on Andrew's bed looking at him with sad eyes.

"What did you want to tell me?", Josh asked.

He was driving back to the hotel when Kathrin's message appeared on his phone's screen. I need to talk to you, if you don't mind. I'm in the hotel.

"I'm leaving tomorrow morning." she started

Josh felt his heart aching. No matter what Kathrin was still important to him. He didn't want her to leave under these conditions.

"Look,", she continued, "I know that this situation is kind of messed up and I know that it is mostly my fault. And I'm sorry."

Her voice cracked at the last word.

Josh got up and sat next to her. He wrapped his arm around her back.

"It's okay.", he said with a soft voice.

"That guy we saw on the train sitting with the blonde friend of yours? I know him. His name is Travis. I met him in Phili. He was there once for holidays."

That came to Josh as a surprise. He never expected that Kathrin could know Travis. It wasn't so important but still, those two were two different worlds to him. Until now.

"Is he a good guy?", he asked, secretly hoping for a negative answer.

"He's a great guy", she smiled sadly.

He took his hand off her back and got up. Then he helped her do the same. They were standing close to each other. They're faces just a few inches apart.

"I just didn't want to leave without saying goodbye.", she whispered.

"I didn't want you to leave without saying goodbye.",he replied.

At that she stood at the toes of her shoes and gave him a sweet kiss on the mouth.

Their lips weren't moving. Their mouths just touches each other and there was an ache in the way that they slowly pulled away.

Josh opened his eyes. She was looking at him already.

"I'm going to sleep in an uncle's house tonight. It's a bit far so I'm gonna go now. He's going to drive me to the airport tomorrow.", she explained.

Like that she took a step forward and walked past him. She had her things packed an a small bag.

"Goodbye Josh."

"Goodbye Kath."

And it was sad and awful because this time it could be permanent.

.....

He lied on his bed.

Brenda and Andrew were in club so they would return pretty late. Like, really late. By then it was 1:05 in the morning and he couldn't sleep.

He decided to call Riley.

She answered immediately.

"Hello?"

Her voice didn't sound annoyed or anything so Josh guessed he hadn't woken hecould.

"Hey Riley. It's Josh."

"Hey, Josh. Why still awake?"

"I couldn't get any sleep. How was the rest of the dinner?"

Awkward silence.