Chapter 28

Recap

"We are under attack!"

Story

Everything just seemed to happen at once. It was instant panic as people where trying to flee the ball room.

"Everyone calm down!" The king voice echoed through the chaos, but everyone stopped to listen to what he had to say, "Now, I don't know what is going on, but we have a safe room here that is big enough for everyone here. If you will please follow the escorts calmly they will take you to safety."

Everyone began to follow the guards out of the room, too bad they were being lead into a trap. Just as I had told him, Brian had sent his best men to head off the crowed. The panic and chaos began again as they realized they were trapped.

"Mary we have to go!" Kaleb said grabbing my hand and trying to pull me away from the fight.

"I can't Kaleb, I have to stay and fight. It is my job," I said pleading with him.

"Fine! But I am staying with you,"

I grabbed my skirt and ripped it off to reveal the pants underneath.

"What you just knew that this was going to happen?" Kaleb said icing me a look mixed with confusion and suspicion.

"I am always prepared. All of my skirts do this, I know better than to try and fight in a skirt, it just doesn't work,"

"Whatever," He said.

Without much more thought I ran into the fight, the problem was that I couldn't really fight for either side. So I just attacked and made sure that none of them were life threatening.

I quickly grabbed an extra sword off of the guard nearest to me as Kaleb grabbed one from a fallen man.

I quickly split from Kaleb knowing that I couldn't be near him from this part; I had to go and make sure that Victor was getting in around the other side.

I ran down a back corridor leading to the entrance where Victor and I were supposed to meet. Using all of my assassin stealth training I made it to the door without being caught by anyone. Not that I really had to worry, they were all preoccupied with the fight that had broken out in the ball room.

"Did everything go alright?" I asked as soon as I saw Victor.

"Not a problem, I don't even think that they know we are here. They were too preoccupied with the distraction."

"Okay I am going to leave and in ten minutes you are going to follow and join the battle. I have to go first so that they don't suspect me. So wait ten minutes before following..." I repeated for enfaces.

I quickly turned around and made my way back to the battle. It wasn't hard for me to get back into the swing of things, and it took even less time for Kaleb to find me.

"Where the hell were you?" He asked while still fighting another vampire.

"If you haven’t noticed there is a battle going on. Sorry if I didn't have time to check in with you," I said knocking out the guy I was fighting.

I took out another two men when I finally saw Victor emerge from behind us.

Now it was a full swing battle. I could tell that we were winning; in fact the battle was almost over. Once Victor's men took the guards by surprise it didn't take long for us to cut down there numbers.

"Surrender and the rest shall live, I don't want to hurt you I just want revenge for what the king did to my family," I heard Victors voice ring out through the crowd, much like the kings had before.

"And what have I done to you family," The king asked stepping out from the crowed.

"You killed them," Victor spat out.

"I have done no such thing,"

"Oh really, so you didn't have my mother killed and you didn't send me away to cover up your wife’s indiscretion. You didn't sell me to the highest bidder hoping that they would be able to kill me, something that you couldn't do yourself," Victor said looking the King right in the eye so he knew he was telling the truth.

Kaleb stood there stunned. I knew he had figured it out, he knew that this man standing in front of him was his half-brother.

"Fight me now father, and let’s see who the real man is," Victor challenged.

It all happened so fast, I didn't even realize what had happened until I heard the familiar clang of metal as Victor had countered the king’s attack.

And like a play button was hit the battle resumed, everyone was just ignoring the two fighting in the middle, more focused on taking out everyone else.

I wasn't like everyone else, I was keeping an eye on Victor, I was going to help in any way possible. Though it didn't seem like I had to Victor was holding his own against the king.

I turned my attention for not more than a minute to the man in front of me. I couple of hits later and he was knocked out on the floor.

I turned back to the battle and gasped. Somehow the King had gotten the upper hand. Victor was on the ground and the King had his sword against his throat.

"Your mother deserved to die, the cheating whore. Oh, but I didn't just kill her, no, there were the months of torture that happened before I would allow for that. And now, I will kill you. Something that I should have done long ago,"

Think fast I saw two men fighting close to the King. Using my power I knocked the man over and into the King. The King was not expecting this hit and lost his balance long enough for Victor to stand and plunge his sword through his heart. A painful blow, but not fatal to a vampire.

"I should kill you, but I am not like you. I will allow you to stand in front of your subjects and let them decide your fate after they have been told of YOUR treasons," and with that he hit him hard enough to knock him out.

Everyone was frozen, and now it was my time. I heard it again, the subtle 'twang' of a string snapping.

"NOOO!!!" I shouted jumping towards Kaleb who was still frozen beside me. Once again the arrow missed Kaleb but plunged through my chest.

"MARY!" Kaleb shouted.

He was cradling me in his arms now; I could see the tears strolling down his face.

"No, Mary you are going to be fine. Okay, you are going to be fine," But I could tell that even he didn't believe the words that were coming out of his mouth.

I could feel the potion worked its magic as my body began to cool and my breaths were coming out shallower now.

"Kal... Kaleb... I am sorry.." I said looking into his eyes.

"You have nothing to be sorry for, you did nothing wrong," he said, his voice breaking in the end.

The potion had taken over and it appeared to everyone that I had died from the arrow that was still sticking out of my chest.

Oh Kaleb I hope you can move on...