Chapter 1 The Problems We Face.

<Lothal. About two weeks after Neeran tells everyone her past (see Book 2)...>

A scream echoed through the house where Neeran and her family lived. Neeran shot up too quickly and fell off her resting spot upon the couch.

"Ow," groaned Neeran, rubbing her head as she ran towards the room everyone slept in.

Opening the door, Neeran burst through and looked around the room. Ezra was curled up in a ball and whimpering in the corner of his bed. Everyone in the room had awoken from Ezra's exclamation. Jexxel had rushed over to him and was trying to comfort him with Janan.

"What happened?" asked Shakkuri coming up behind Neeran.
"We don't know," replied Jexxel, stroking Ezra's back as he shivered in fear.

Ezra suddenly spotted Neeran. Seeing her, Ezra got up and ran over to her. Neeran crouched down to his height and held him in a hug when he reached her, tears profusely streaming down his face.
"You're still here," he whispered, choking back sobs.
"Yes, I'm still here Ezra," replied Neeran, playing along with what he was saying.

Ezra didn't reply as he continued to try and hold back his sobs.
Neeran lifted him off the ground and into her arms, whilst saying to Shakkuri, 'Get everyone back to sleep. I'll deal with Ezra.'
Shakkuri nodded and Neeran left with Ezra, closing the bedroom door behind her.
Neeran took Ezra outside and sat down on the verandah, resting her legs on the stairs to the house. The cool night breeze blew around them as Ezra tried to stop sobbing.

"It's okay Ezra," soothed Neeran. "Just let it all out."
Ezra sniffed and took a shaky breaths to steady himself.
"What scared you in the room?" asked Neeran, cautiously.
Ezra was silent, the memories of the dream returning.

"A dream I had," replied Ezra. "It was when the Empire took you. But they killed you as I ran away."
Ezra broke down in sobs as he finished the sentence.

"Sshh," said Neeran. "Calm down, that didn't happen. And it's not likely to happen ever."
Ezra's sobs quieted as Neeran continued, "Besides, I'd sooner save my family than let myself be killed."
Ezra nodded but still seemed distant.
"What's wrong?" asked Neeran.

"It's just..." Ezra hesitated over what to say next. "The one who killed you. I felt like I knew him."
"What did he look like?" asked Neeran, worried about who this person was.

"He wore a cloak to hid his face," started Ezra. "His cloak was black and covered his whole body. He looked really young, but older than you, but was seemingly faster and smarter than you. He had a black lightsaber and could shoot lightning from his hands. Beside him, was a girl with blondish hair and she also had a lightsaber."

'There are only two people in the universe who fit that description,' thought Neeran, her thoughts drifting to Juan and Saval for a moment.

There was a silence between them, as Neeran didn't want to talk about the two figures from Ezra's dream because they'd slaughtered many people and families that had once been very dear to her.
Instead, Neeran decided to change the subject.

"Remember the first song you heard me sing to you?" asked Neeran.
Ezra nodded and said, "It was Safe and Sound."
"That's right," replied Neeran smiling. "I'd always liked that song, but I don't like the movie it came from. It's a favourite among everyone here."

"Why does everyone like it? asked Ezra.
"Maybe it's because they can relate to the words," said Neeran. "But I honestly don't know."
Ezra's eyes began to droop shut and he was trying to force them open, but was failing.
"Sleep now Ezra," said Neeran, stroking his hair. "You've got school today."

Neeran started to hum Safe and Sound to Ezra as he slowly closed his eyes again and drifted into a light slumber.
Neeran continued to cradle the sleeping Ezra in her arms as the early morning sun rose and bathed the land in its brilliant light.

Above her, Zach lay on the roof with his hands behind his head on the edge of the roof. He knew Neeran would care for Ezra like she'd cared for so many other children that they'd knew throughout their lives, even if their friendship together never truly healed.

But unbeknown to both Neeran, Zach and everyone that knew them, Ezra had been hiding a secret from them for the best part of three years.

A big secret.

He'd been wondering as of late if he should tell Neeran or not.

And what her reaction would be.