Chapter 6: Fading Scars

Chapter 6

“It’s about time you get it,” Mr. Caldwell sneered. “your dismissed.”

I got up and hurriedly fled the classroom, not paying attention to what was in front of me I collided with Jayden. He steadied me so I wouldn’t fall, I couldn’t look at him, knowing what he had just witnessed.

“Are you okay? Did Mr. Caldwell hurt you? Bridgette please…tell me what happened.” He pleaded.

I didn’t respond, I couldn’t, I just shook my head and ran and without looking back.

Joan was waiting for me when I finally reached the elementary school.

“Hey Bridge, What’s up ?”

I didn’t speak just smiled and let her ramble about her day at school. Once back to the house, I told Joan to go straight to our room. I sat down and thought about how we were living, I couldn’t let Joan be in this awful environment any more, Annabelle was enough, but now I had to worry about John too and he would stop at nothing to hurt her, just to get to me.

“Joan,” I called. I walked upstairs to find her sleeping; I quickly grabbed he backpack and packed extra clothes, toiletries, and her stuffed elephant BoBo.

“Joan,” a shook her slightly, “Come on Joan we need to go somewhere.”

Her still half sleeping form got up and followed me, I walked to Claire’s house, she lived a few blocks away, slowly Joan started to wake up, but she never asked where we were going. We arrived at Claire's house after about 45 minutes. I knocked on the door, Claire opened it.

“OMG, why didn’t you tell me you were coming over,” she squealed.

“I need to speak to your mom,” I said, she looked at me, curiosity shining in her eyes , but eventually let me in and told me she was in her office.

“Ms. Forman?”

“ Yes, darling,” Claire’s mother responded. “Long time no see.”

“I know, I should visit more often, but I have a huge favor.”

“Sure anything what is it sweetheart?”

“Could you keep Joan for a while, I know this is a really big favor to ask and I'm bombarding into your home, but I could get a job and send you money it’s just-”

She cut me off, “Of course, but may I ask why?”

I looked up at her with a slight grimace on my face.

“It’s okay darling you don’t have to tell me,” she cooed.

“Thank you so much Ms. Forman”

I walked out to the living room spotting Joan, I sat beside her.

“Hey kiddo.” I said

“Cut the crap and tell me what’s going on.” She half yelled.

“For one,” I said “Watch your language and two you’re going to be staying with the Forman’s for a little while.”

She shook her head holding back tears, “You’re my big sister, you're supposed to be here with me, you’re staying too right?”

I said nothing; I didn’t want to make the situation worse than it already was.

“Right?” Joan screamed.

“No, Annabelle would just drag us both back, but if its just you gone she won't bother to look because she would still have me, know I love you, okay?”

I stood up kissed her forehead and walked out the door, with tears rolling down my cheeks. Not letting myself look back, I kept running thinking of what I had just left behind. She was that sacred picture you’ve keep close your whole life and the same picture was swept away, taken, in wind storm, now you can only hope that one day, when it’s safe, it will return.