Chapter 10: Fading Scars

I'm sorry for not updating sooner and for this being shorter than my already short chapters.

Recap: 

“Annabelle and John Caldwell .”

“They got married? For real?” Jayden asked interrupting.

“Yes it was a private wedding at the house.” I responded.

Lisa once again continued “Annabelle, yes, then we will work through the rest, but for now your safety is my priority, but I must tell you I have to call this in, tell the department, I could get fired for not telling my boss of something this serious.”  I nodded.

“I have to go home just for this night I won't be able to get Joan away from Annabelle, and as of right now we don’t have a restraining order.”

Lisa was hesitant, but agreed. I smiled on the way back to the house, we were going to win, Annabelle would lose and I'd finally live in a home again not just a house.

Chapter 10:

Chapter 10

Jayden and I were parked outside of the house, I was staring out the window; pictures of that treacherous night invaded my mind. I jumped as I felt a hand on my shoulder, only to realize it was Jayden’s.

“Take a deep breath. Soon, you and your sister will be safe.” He spoke softly. I smiled, or tried to at least I knew he was only trying to help, but for all he knew Joan could be laying lifeless on the floor a t this very moment. That thought a lone willed me to push my feet out of the car. I looked backed and waved for Jayden to leave, no need to make things worse than they already were.

I heard the engine rev, and waited as the light purr slowly faded away. I walked to the door and pressed the lever.

It was unlocked. My breathing spiked. I stepped in and walked silently toward the basement only to find a pile of blankets and the rope, I ruffled through the blankets thinking she might be sleeping beneath them. No dice. I ran up the steps not caring to be quiet anymore. I threw open our bedroom door.

“Joan?” I whisper-yelled, tousling through our stuff, hoping she was just hiding.

“Joan?” I yelled again this time louder.

“Joan,” I yelled at a full blow scream now. Tear blurred my vision as I furiously ran down the stairs. I spotted Annabelle, sleeping on the couch.

I ran over to her and, without thinking I shook her awake.

“WHERE IS SHE?” I shrieked, my emotions running amuck, controlling my actions.

She stared up at me, and then suddenly backhanded me hard enough to throw me to the floor; she quickly stood up and kicked me in the stomach, causing me to gasp for air.

 “Listen here you little brat,” she spat, “I warned you about boys, and I warned you about your good for nothing little sister, you ignored both admonitions and now you have to pay the consequences. She punched me one last time. I swallowed, holding back tears,

“Where is she? Please, Annabelle tell me.” I begged

“She’s gone,” she spoke emotionlessly and walked out of the room, leaving me to decipher her words.

Was she dead? Or was Annabelle just messing with my emotions. I couldn’t move, I layed on the floor as countless scenarios ran through my mind.

All I kept thinking was:

Please, Joan, don’t leave me.  

Don’t leave me. Your all I have left.