Chapter 10

IMPORTANT NOTE:  I made some small, but important revisions/additions to chapters 8 & 9, and re-posted the revised chapters.

_____________________________

Luke closed the passenger door and looked at the Eckley's house—lit up with Christmas lights, the decorated Christmas tree visible through the living room window, the porch light bright and welcoming—and for the first time in his life the sense of Coming home overwhelmed him. A lump formed in his throat as he turned at the sound of the car's driver door opening.

Bob Hanson stepped out and looked at Luke. "You're home, my friend," he smiled. "I told you I would get you here." The man was in his late thirties with thick, dark auburn hair professionally styled. In the light, his eyes were a deep green, whereas out here in the night, they appeared dark. He slipped into his expensive overcoat and buttoned the front.

"Thank you," Luke offered with sincere, heartfelt gratitude. His throat squeezed a fraction tighter. "For everything. I don't know how to repay you."

Bob smiled softly. He was a handsome man with a heart of gold. Luke wondered how such a good-hearted soul survived the sea of sharks in which he swam on a daily basis. "Just make your life your own, Luke, and be happy. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself, or for those you love. You do that, and you can consider us square."

"Yes, sir," Luke nodded. He watched the man walk to the trunk of the car. Luke would miss him. After just a few moments in Bob's company, and Luke had understood he could learn a hell of a lot about life and about people from this man. Luke stepped toward the trunk—when the front door of the house burst open.

"Incoming," Bob warned with a chuckle.

Luke turned around in a hurry, ready to engulf John in his arms—and was plowed over by John's full weight, the both of them tumbling down onto the snowy lawn. Luke hardly caught his breath before John clutched his head and kissed him hard and desperate, tears streaking his face. Luke gasped when John pulled from the kiss, his face a storm of conflicting emotions.

"Don't you ever fucking scare me like that again!" John cried—then kissed him fiercely, clawing fistfuls of his hair as Luke engulfed him in his arms and clung to him, his throat knotting up tight as tears sprang to his eyes. Never in his life had anyone missed him so much—or cared for him so deeply.

He tried to cling to John, just wanting to hold him and cry for joy, but John jerked back a fraction, choking on a sob. "I swear to God, I'll kick your fucking ass if you do that again." He trembled in Luke's arms, tears flooding down his face—the depth of his fear radiating in his dark eyes. He threw his arms around Luke's neck and hugged him desperately, holding on for dear life, crying against his neck. "God damn you." John squeezed him harder, his voice crumbling. "You scared the fuck out of me."

His body shook with sobs and Luke held him tighter, his face buried his hair. "I'm sorry, baby," he whispered brokenly. "I'm so sorry." He drew back and wiped the tears from John's face as his own streaked a path down his cheeks, and kissed John deeply. "The storm...I couldn't call out."

"I know," John shuddered, his throat working, then broke down again. "But I'm still so mad at you." His chin trembled forcefully and he shoved his face against Luke's throat, crying openly. "I...I thought..."

"I know." Luke crushed his body against him. Their tears and sobs merged as Luke sought out John's mouth once more and kissed him deeply, their lips gently conforming, drawing out their passion. Luke reluctantly paused the kiss to whisper thickly, "But I'm home now, baby...I'm okay..." His wet eyes flitted briefly to Bob, who stood at the end of the car watching them, his gaze glassy with tears. "Everything is okay."