Chapter 11

John reveled in the warmth of Luke's body, the reality that he was right here, in his arms again. As his parents spoke with Bob, John clung to Luke, his face in his throat, breathing him in.

"I missed you so much," Luke whispered against his hair. His hands rubbed up and down John's back slowly. "I about went crazy this last month without you."

John raised his head and Luke's lips touched his, pushing into a soft passionate kiss. I love you. The words swelled his heart and he wanted to scream it out loud. But not here, not just yet.

"Oh John..." Luke moaned and kissed his face, his brow, his eyes. "God, baby, I want to make love to you all night long." He kissed his lips again. "Think we could make that happen?"

John hugged him closer. "I think so," he murmured. "It's going to take you all night long to make up for scaring the shit out of me."

Cupping his face, Luke brushed his strong lips on John's mouth. "I'll gladly pay my penance."

John stared into his eyes—glimpsing his whole world behind them. It was still sinking in that Luke was here, in body, safe and sound. "If something had happened to you..." John trembled.

"Nothing did," Luke whispered and stroked his chilled face as a spark of something flickered behind his eyes then vanished. Or maybe it was just John's imagination. Luke's arms loosened. "Come on," he smiled. "Help me get my stuff out of Bob's car, so we can go inside...relax..." He muzzled John's ear. "Maybe relax on your bed..."

With Luke safe in his arms again and his fears receding—other thoughts quickly surfaced and consumed John. This recent incident only heightened his need for Luke, fueling his already suppressed passions and hunger. The only glitch in their plans was that they'd been planning on having access to Luke's house...where they could lose control and not worry about how far their shouts and cries were carrying. John glanced discreetly at his parents then pressed closer to Luke. "My parents' bedroom is just down the hall from mine."

Luke sighed and nodded. "Yeah, that could be a problem." His eyes drifted across the street and he exhaled hard. "Why the hell did they have to come home this year?"

John followed his stare—and recalled his and his dad's encounter with Chandler Rivers. "Luke..." he said quietly. "Me and my dad...we went over to talk to your dad yesterday..."

"I know," Luke murmured.

"How do you know?"

"I talked to your dad on the phone just before I got here," Luke said. "He told me what happened."

John frowned. "That was you on the phone? He said it was a business call."

Luke smiled. "I asked him not to tell you." He kissed John. "Did you like my text?"

Did he like it? John would preserve that text for the rest of his life, if possible—that moment when his crumbling world and shattered heart came back together all at once. "Yeah," he whispered thickly. "I did."

Luke rubbed noses with him. "Still going to kiss me under the mistletoe...like you promised?"

An image of the belt buckle formed in John's mind, and he smiled. "Absolutely."

"I brought some mistletoe with me," Luke informed.

"I have some of my own," John smiled slyly.

Luke raised his eyebrow. "Twice the kissing, then." The dark amusement from a few days ago crept back into his eyes.