Chapter 26

"That's a lot of money." John took the blank check and looked it over. "Who is he really—Daddy Warbucks?"

Luke shook his head, visibly stunned. "Starting to think so," he murmured and wiped his hand over his wet face. He replaced the note and the check back in the box and set it on the coffee table, then looked at Mitch. "Your turn to see what Santa left for you."

Nervous excitement gripped John as his dad sat stone still. The storm of emotions that had been churning in his eyes since they found Bob's note, continued to roil, his stare following Luke's movements as the young man placed the large, flat box on the coffee table.

"Come sit over here, dad," John smiled, still holding onto his own gift as if it were the Holy Grail. In his mind—it was.

Mitch didn't move as he stared at the box.

"Mitch?" Sharon touched his shoulder, her voice soft and warm. "Open your gift, sweetheart."

Mitch's eyes filled as he slowly rubbed his hand back and forth over his mouth, then rose from his chair, his steps hesitant as he moved to the sofa and sat down beside John. Luke took his place on the opposite side of Mitch, who just stared at the present, making no move to open it.

"Open it, dad," John said quietly. "I bet it's awesome."

Nodding slowly, Mitch reached out tentatively and peeled away the wrapping, exposing the navy blue box underneath and the store's name embossed in silver across the bottom—Romeo's. He hesitated, his fingertips trembling over the shimmering letters. His face pinched with emotion and for a moment he seemed on the verge of fleeing the room. He didn't move. Maybe he couldn't move—perhaps the only reason he didn't run away.

No one pushed him to hurry and open the box, yet John could feel his mom and Luke—as well as himself—holding a collective breath as he worked his fingertips under the edge of the lid and lifted it off the box.

John could almost feel the hurricane of emotions that crashed through his dad as he laid eyes on his beloved suit...and the note carefully attached to the lapel; 'Sometimes that "One Kiss" is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.'

Mitch sat still as a statue. He seemed to barely breathe—just staring at the note. His eyes slowly shifted to the blue tie and he reached out, his hand unsteady as he caressed his fingertips down the silk fabric—It brings out your deep blue eyes—and he suddenly broke. He buried his face in his hands, body shaking, and cried.

"Dad..." John hugged him, struggling to keep from breaking down with him. He had been 99.99% certain that it was The Suit in this box, but seeing it with his own eyes blew him away. And to switch out the original tie with the blue one—it afforded an added personal, if not intimate, touch. Bob loved his dad, and what greater gift than this...to prove just how much?

"Oh Mitch." Tears streaked Sharon's face. "The suit." No one understood better how much this suit meant to his dad—than his mom. "He really bought it for you."

Mitch stifled his sobs and raised his head, his face wet and flushed. He looked at Sharon. "After last night..." he choked quietly. "The way he looked at me...what he thought..." he shook his head, his chin trembling. "I thought that that was...was why he left." His breath broke around a sob. "Because he didn't believe anymore that I was...a good man."

Confusion clouded John's mind as he glanced at Luke—who appeared just as puzzled. What had happened during their dinner out last night?

"No, darling," Sharon whispered. "But I believe maybe he knew you would think that was the reason...and that's why he said in the note that it wasn't anything we did. I think that was for you."