01 | Her Clockwork Heart

01
Twilight
H e r C l o c k w o r k H e a r t

THE MANY NOTES OF the falling rain were all in tune as the clouds wept away their sudden sorrows. Water droplets, sweet and mellow, cunningly raced down the glass walls of the lavish room in which Adele Cullen sat in. Tears silently pooled in her golden eyes like clouds as they condensed, all until they could no longer bear the load and began to fall, cascading down her porcelain cheeks as the storm of sadness struck. It had become a race to see which could fall faster and as they fell, fell, fell, it was clear the rain would win. The tears that disobediently leaked from Adele's eyes were so heavy with past burdens, they were slowest.

Now, one must understand this: Adele Cullen was not always like this. Behind every being, their is a always a story unique to them. Do not judge her story by the chapter you walked in on, for it is not the very first, and it is surely not the last. The raw truth and tale is to be uncovered here, and so is the story of how she cried, she screamed, she fought, and she lost....all until she made everything around her beautiful.

And made it her life.

It was the new year of 2014 and winter had not yet passed. Adele Cullen stood from where she had set herself down at the edge of her bed and gripped the cold doorknob to the doors that led out onto her deck. The muggy air and misty wisps of fog kissed the bare skin of her arms and legs as she walked out. The world always became softly blurred in the rain and she always felt like she could melt right into it. Adele never could let her emotions cataract out of her, into the chaotic waterfall they yearned for, out of fear that she would drown her loved ones in the depths of it.

Her dreams pulled her back into a world that she had long ago tried to bury in the gaps of time, for the memories entailed with it snuffed the light out of her immortal life and dragged her into the all-too-familiar darkness she had loathed since she was the six-year-old girl hiding in a chest while her mother was murdered. She was good at hiding it all behind her golden eyes and along with them, a small smile.

Adele climbed over the fencing of the deck and looked down at the one story drop and gracefully, she landed, her bare feet meeting the dewy grass. She ran past the tree line and into the depths of the woods, where the trees were left bare from the colder season. The Cullen girl braces off the trees as she ran, reaching higher and higher until she was at the sturdiest peak of a towering tree, overlooking the brightening sky. Just as she saw the sun peeking over the trees and mountains in the far distance, the branches rustled behind her and Edward Cullen was sitting beside her, the tips of his bronze hair shining in the light.

"Are you alright?" He questioned her.

"I am fine."

"Sure you are." He gave her a look.

She glanced at him, "It is too early for this, Edward Masen. I will push you off of this damn branch."

He shrugged and changed the subject, "Alice had a new vision for today. She said today will be the day that everything as we know it will change, whatever that means."

"How vague."

"Well, I didn't get much else before she began singing nursery rhymes."