11 | Volterra Castle

11
New Moon
V o l t e r r a   C a s t l e

AFTER AN EVENTFUL plane ride and car ride to Volterra, Bella and Alice managed to stop Edward from making the single mistake that would literally end his life. Seconds after the clock tower struck noon, Bella shoved Edward out of the sight of the humans dressed in red and they were reunited at last. But of course, his reckless actions did not go unnoticed by the Volturi and they escorted him back into the throne room, this time with Bella and Alice accompanying him.

Alice felt like she was going to be sick as she walked into the throne room and remembered Adele's memory of Jace's murder. They stood not too far from where he was slaughtered – she couldn't imagine what it would've been like for Adele had she come.

Sitting in the golden throne to the right was Caius Volturi, who glowered at them with malicious crimson eyes. Pin-straight blond hair framed his chalky face and bobbed to one side as he rest his chin on his hand inna bemused way. To the left sat Marcus Volturi, the eldest and most secluded of the three kings, and he regarded them lazily as they entered the room. He never was the same ruler after the death of his own mate – instead he was dull and nonexistent. Holding the most prominence in
the center throne was Aro Volturi who had long black hair pulled away from his sharply featured face and a uncomfortably straight posture. A thin smiled played upon his face as he absorbed the sight before him: Alice and Edward, two of the most valuable vampires, and with them was a human.

Demetri and Felix shut the doors behind them, leaving no other way out. Aro walked off of the platform and approached Edward, silently taking his hand. With a set jaw, Edward didn't resist as he proved through his mind – Aro could read minds, but only when he touched the person of whom he wanted to read. When he pulled away, he looked at Bella who shifted uncomfortably, "What a happy surprise! Bella is alive after all. Isn't that wonderful?" Caius responded with a sour expression and Marcus – well – he couldn't care less. Then he frowned, "Her blood appeals to you so much it makes me thirsty. How can you stand to be so close to her?" he didn't take his eyes off of her.

"It's not without effort." he muttered begrudgingly as he heard Bella's heart hammer in her chest.

Aro laughed, "I can see that."

Upon seeing Bella's confusion (and looking for a topic to diffuse the building tension) Edward explained, "One touch and Aro can see every thought I've ever had in my life."

"You're quite the telepath yourself, Edward." he commented sneakily. Edward knew Aro wanted to recruit him as he wanted to recruit Adele and Alice because, like them, his gift was very valuable. "Though, you can't read Bella's thoughts. Fascinating." He took a step toward her, "I would love to see if you are an exception to my gifts, as well....?"

He extended his open hand to her and she eyed it apprehensively. First she looked to Alice who set her jaw and stared at the floor, then to Edward who subtly nodded. She didn't have much of a choice. Aro chuckled at her evident reluctance and extended his hand further, and this time she took it. Her heart hammered against her chest as confusion plastered across his face and he pulled away. "Interesting." He muttered and let go of her hand. He walked back to his throne, clearly deep in thought. If this peculiar human is an exception to even my gift, would she be to Jane's as well? "I wonder if–"

Edward read his thought and promptly refused, standing protectively in front of her, "No!"

Aro ignored his outburst, "Let's see if she's immune to all our powers, shall we Jane?" Caius finally took an interest in the situation and grinned.